Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Heroes On The Water - So Cal Chapter

Old 11-08-2014, 11:45 AM   #41
DennisMorgan

Oh and and not to be overlooked...had a fun time fishing with our heros and Mike...we'll done!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2014, 03:10 PM   #42
octico

Great time ....

It was nice to help out for a good cause. I had a great time out there, fishing was slow but I got one almost legal butt, exactly 22", tossed him back to be caught at some later date.

Thanks to Bob, Matt and everyone else who helped out. Really nice turnout today.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #43
wade

THANK YOU!!!!!

VETS GO BENDO!!!!!

I couldn’t wait to get home to see my happy Vets genuine smile once again.
The rewarding experience this provides me & anyone else involved, is absolutely priceless. I am deeply humbled to offer up any assistance gentlemen. One fine organization you gots’ yourselves, Matt, Bob & whole CREW! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for allowing me to lend so much as a finger, let alone a hand..

FREEDOM CAPTURED!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #44
Deamon

Hadn't felt so much pressure in a long time. I wanted my new friend John to catch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.5 KB, 92 views)
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #45
Cbad Mike

As I posted on my FB page.... i couldn't think of anything that I'd rather do then fish today with our veterans. I had such a good time and am positive Darious, the vet I paired up with, had a great day too.
If you haven't volunteered yet for one of these great events let me tell you what it was about, at least for me.
While getting ready and rigging up my kayak I noticed a guy who wasn't really socializing the way everyone else I saw was. He reminded me of a kid who was made to go on a class trip that he really didn't want to be on. While he was by no means a kid he just had that look on his face that he'd rather be anywhere then where he was. I launched a minute before the vets did and was right out in front of them ready to introduce myself and guide one of them for the event. It just so happened that the same uninterested guy from the beach paddled straight towards me. I introduced myself and immediately asked him if he was ready to catch some fish. With just a straight face he said "ok". Dennis Morgan was right there with his vet for the day and the four of us paddled out to where Dennis said there were fish. Darious, the vet I've been talking about hooked up first and I could see that he was pretty dam proud of himself. He had a big smile on his face as I helped him remove the fish from his line. Over the course of the morning Darious landed two more bass and began telling me what a great time he was having. He paddled off a little bit knowing that if he needed anything all that he had to do was give me a holler. I was throwing plastic when I heard my name. I turned around and there was Darious, a guy who only fished a couple of times in his entire life and had never even been on a kayak getting a sleigh ride like a pro. The ear to ear smile on this guy's face made my day, (or so I thought). I paddled in to help him with the drag and after an adjustment, backed off to let him show that fish who was boss. I saw his happiness change a little bit as it mixed with pure pride as other vets and volunteers moved in closer and offered him shouts of encouragement. After about 7 minutes of fighting he pulled up a decent sized bat ray. It didn't matter what it was, he was freaking thrilled. We fished for another hour before heading in and during that time the guy had a constant smile on his face. While heading to the beach he told me that he wished he could stay out the rest of the day and looked forward to the next event. I hit the sand first and then Darious. I walked around my kayak and put out my hand to shake his for a job well done. He took my handshake and turned it into a hug as he thanked me for such a fun day (now THIS made my day if not my week).
We headed up to get something to eat. I saw Darious a little while later as he was eating his lunch. He still had the smile as he was talking up a storm to the people he was sitting with.
He wasn't the same guy at all that I first saw on the beach this morning but then again either am I.
I don't know who is looking forward to the next HOW event more, me or Darious.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:30 AM   #46
Chuck D

So much Fun!

Got down to tidelands only to see some wonderful familiar faces. Had the opportunity to mentor a vet named Gill. He was the man! It was his second event and he liked the first one so much that he went out and bought a kayak. Not only that, he wanted to modify his kayak like we all do so he added some some side floats (he wanted to stand up), rod holders, rudder control, anchor line (axe as anchor) and the best part, some shade ( a huge umbrella). Not all of it survived the excursion, but we had such a blast trying it out. In the end I towed him around with his umbrella up because he couldn't paddle with it. Cant wait to volunteer again, nothing better then hearing Gill's laughter and seeing his smiles. Tight lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1878.jpg (74.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1881.jpg (77.2 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1885.jpg (61.4 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1889.jpg (59.5 KB, 84 views)
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #47
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck D View Post
Got down to tidelands only to see some wonderful familiar faces. Had the opportunity to mentor a vet named Gill. He was the man! It was his second event and he liked the first one so much that he went out and bought a kayak. Not only that, he wanted to modify his kayak like we all do so he added some some side floats (he wanted to stand up), rod holders, rudder control, anchor line (axe as anchor) and the best part, some shade ( a huge umbrella). Not all of it survived the excursion, but we had such a blast trying it out. In the end I towed him around with his umbrella up because he couldn't paddle with it. Cant wait to volunteer again, nothing better then hearing Gill's laughter and seeing his smiles. Tight lines.
AND this is what Heroes on the Water is all about. People helping people and finding out they are also helping them selves in the process. There were smiles on EVERYONES faces yesterday. Winners all. Thank you BWE and everyone else who helped, you make out community GREAT.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #48
ful-rac
Emperor

Glad to see that the event was a success!!

Kudos to all the BWE members that stepped up to volunteer!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM   #49
RookieYakker

FISH ON!

So amazing watching someone catch their first fish!

I'm happy to have been part of such a great day!

RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #50
Deamon

Anybody who takes a circa 1970's Eagle Claw rod onto their 2015 Hobie Kayak is okay in my book...will that rod catch Cabrilla too?

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #51
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Anybody who takes a circa 1970's Eagle Claw rod onto their 2015 Hobie Kayak is okay in my book...will that rod catch Cabrilla too?

It is also a spinning rod but Jim you can findout as I am trying to get Guillermo to come down to Ganzaga with us this spring along with one more Veteran, still in the planning stages. Cabrilla here we come.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote