Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

La Jolla report 11-26, sculpin & others

I caught these two bad boys off La Jolla Sunday, fairly good size for sculpin. Bait was scarce so I spent most of the morning targeting rockfish. Lots of activity from small whitefish picking at my squid bait. Probably released ten whitefish as only two were decent size. My cravings for sculpin tacos alongside their namesake IPA will have to wait. Sculpin are out of season until January 1. These two are still happily swimming in the Pacific. Hopefully we shall meet again . . . in season!
For all the activity, I was surprised to only pick up one keeper sized (1-pound) rockfish. I was mostly fishing between 80-100 feet in the proximity of the many lobster pots strung out north and west of the point.
Attached Images

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
BigLouSD
Junior

Sounds like there was plenty of action if not keepers. I hear those Sculpin are dangerous hope the release went well.
BigLouSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
LJ H2Oman
Hunter

BigLouSD the release did go well but I'm understandably cautious when I get my hands near sculpin or the sculpin near my legs. Like a lot of fish, they thrash around a bit when they see the pliers coming in close as I reach for the hook.

<"))))><

Hobie Revo 13 . . . not as sporting . . . but a welcome upgrade from my 1966 longboard!
LJ H2Oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
NICKWORN

Lip Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ H2Oman View Post
BigLouSD the release did go well but I'm understandably cautious when I get my hands near sculpin or the sculpin near my legs. Like a lot of fish, they thrash around a bit when they see the pliers coming in close as I reach for the hook.

Just lip em like a bass and your fine!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
the dude

Quote:
Just lip em like a bass and your fine!
X2