Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
DESTROYER

Since Fishing is Slow...

...Sign up now for the 8th Annual Steve Moyer Memorial Tournament.

We are doing things a little different this year. We will not have different divisions. We are going to pay out 1st through 5th place for heaviest fish, no rays, sharks, or calico bass.

***We will still have our stellar Raffle with Great Prizes***
***Food this year will once again be done my my staff from La Jolla Country Club which is included with your entry***
***Every Entry will receive a Tournament Shirt done By Paul Elder Art. Paul does all the art for Ballast Point Brewing Co.***

Maui Jim sponsored 1st place for $1,000.
Reebs Lures sponsored 5th Place for $150 a gut load of plastics.

We are still looking for the following sponsors for:

2nd Place: $500
3rd Place: $350
4th Place: $250

Call me if you would like to sponsor or donate any items. This is a 501(c)(3) and I can send you the Tax ID# for your records. Also, become our friend on Facebook for updates @ Steve Moyer Memorial Tournament. Tight Lines-Moyer

Eighth Annual
La Jolla Kayak Fishing - Steve Moyer Memorial Kayak Fishing Tournament September 11th 2010

Presented by Maui Jim Sunglasses

Rules/Entry Form/Waiver • Map/Directions to the La Jolla Launch site

All proceeds to the American Cancer Society

It is time again for the most celebrated and longest running offshore kayak fishing tournament in the world.

This year we are very excited to announce our partnership with Maui Jim Sunglasses. Maui Jim has donated $1000 as a prize for the single largest fish landed in the tournament.

It has been called the Super Bowl of Kayak fishing tournaments and is definitely the most prestigious kayak fishing event of the year on the West Coast. Each year this event gets bigger, with 200 participants in 2006, and each year the weigh-in, after-party, raffle and BBQ gets better.

Named after our good friend, kayak fisherman, and all around waterman Steve Moyer, this event has earned over $55,000 for the American Cancer Society and we hope to make a bigger contribution each year. Steve lost his battle with cancer over eight years ago; we want to do our part to help stop this disease.

With great sponsors on board each year, everyone walks away a winner, and thanks to the participants' generosity so does our charity.

You will be up against some of the top kayak anglers from around the country, and each year some real Big Fish hit the scales. We have Yellowtail, Halibut and White Seabass in our waters and I am sure a big one will top the charts again this year.

It seems each year we hear of a kayak angler in need and each year we have done what we can to help them. This year a good friend and kayak angler from Nor Cal, Joel, Mooch, Lotilla, is in the battle for his life against stage four lung cancer. We will once again be donating a portion of the proceeds from this tournament to Joel to help him with his medical bills.

This year to make things simple we have gone back to our original format and that is a straight single largest fish tournament. Each angler may weigh in one fish, largest fish wins. We will be paying down 5 places, with the largest fish winning the $1000.00

Each entrant will receive an event T-shirt, lunch ticket; Jackpot entry and one raffle ticket. More raffle tickets may be purchased the day of the event. All proceeds from the raffle and silent auction will go to the ACS as well as all funds retained after expenses have been paid. Once again the launch will be from the La Jolla Shore boat launch and the weigh in will be held at Kate Sessions Park on Mt. Soledad. With a deadline for weigh in at 1:30pm

Those that enter the event before August 31 will be entered into our on the water drawings for great prizes donated by OEX.

We can always use extra donations and help with this event so if you would like to donate or volunteer your time please use our Web form to contact us ASAP.

To see any updates for the event, see who is entered, and a list of our sponsors please visit our Steve Moyer Memorial Forum.

For more information about the tournament, use our Web form to contact us, or call the La Jolla Kayak Fishing office (619) 461-7172
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
FISHIONADO

Can I pay on-line? Can't find the link.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHIONADO View Post
Can I pay on-line? Can't find the link.
Here's the link Steve Moyer Memorial. You'll find a button titled "$50 Tournament Deposit" toward the center of the page. This will take you to a paypal shopping cart where you can finish your transaction.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

I signed up. I had a dream that I caught a big halibut 10 minutes before the time limit, paddled my kayak like a cigarette boat to get to the launch to win the contest, then threw up on the beach. I want to win like that!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Nic D

sounds like a story I once heard
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #6
lamb

I think I remember that... vaguely!

Gee, has it been that long ago

Funny, we're moving this weekend, and as I was digging through the piles of my fishing crap, I found the aged pinkesh newspaper page...

Thanks for the plug Dave - the new gang will get to see that their admin at least used to fish on the kayak, back in the day...

Can't recall who placed 2nd in that tournament?

IN FOR MOYER TOURNEY!!!

Let's make it the biggest one to date.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
deepdvr

" Other winners in the tournament included Josh Pruitt who won $600 for his second place 7.2 lb yellowtail. "

Now that is classic. Thank god a rat didn't win that tournament and from the darkhorse nonetheless. What year was that? 1982
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
DESTROYER

C'mon Fellas, it's only about a month away and we have 5 guys signed up. Don't wait until the last minute.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
gary sullivan

What was more impressive than the last minute heroics was the fella in that picture donated a huge chunk of his winnings to promote the following year's BWE competition at a time when he could have used the money.

Lamb
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Ya just know the Fishcatcher and I will be there...
Good times indeed...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #11
FISHIONADO

Only 5 people have signed up?

http://lajollakayakfishingadventures.com/Events.shtml
Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
dorado50

1 in 5 chance to bring in biggest fish. I like my odds at this time...plus enough food to eat to feed a small army.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
tmc
Junior

I just signed up. I did it with my wife's paypal account and it didn't ask for my name, so yeah, I'm fishing, not my wife. ; )

-Trent
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
FISHIONADO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
1 in 5 chance to bring in biggest fish. I like my odds at this time...plus enough food to eat to feed a small army.
Let's get some side bets going. I'll race my P15 against an Outback to the reserve buoy for $10.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
dorado50

Don't know exactly what u r talk'in bout? Whats an outback?
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #16
FISHIONADO

New category skishing?

http://online.wsj.com/video/skiing-p...4A91509E1.html
Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
Nic D

I plan on fishing or skishiing
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
FISHIONADO

I remember one year I saw Wavster fishing, then skishing, then fishing again, and he landed the fish!
Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I remember one year I saw Wavster fishing, then skishing, then fishing again, and he landed the fish!
There were photos that made the rounds

I just made my donation
Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
GregAndrew

I'm donating, I mean in. I saw first hand that Adi has not lost a thing at Catalina. Ok, maybe a few hairs.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote