Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Johnp

Lingcod Regs.

I talked with DFG today at Day At The Docks and was told Lingcod does not open until May 1st. Regulation book says April 1st, but it has been changed.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 AM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Now how is the average Joe, (or Yani), supposed to know that the DFG has changed their regulations when what is printed in their regulation book and posted on their web site says the season opens on April 1?. If you do a Google search for "lingcod season California 2010" the first thing that pops up is this link.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/calendar.asp

Further down the page it says the Groundfish, including Lingcod season opens on May 1. So which line in this official document are we supposed to go by.

I did learn one thing that I did not know by reading this document. Pacific Halibut season does not open until May 1. Not that I have caught any but I was fairly sure that there was no closed season for Halibut. Live and learn.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #3
j mo

Hey Bob,
Dont worry the season for Califonia Halibut is year round. The (much larger) Pacific halis I dont hink id want to catch from a kayak anyway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi9-8FypHIE&feature=fvw
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
rastrev

Quote:
April 1
First day of recreational lingcod season for spear fishermen and shore-based anglers, statewide

First day of recreational lingcod season for boat-based anglers south of Pt. Conception

I already saw this discussion/confusion on BD. Ling has been open south of Pt. Conception since April 1st, but does not open between Pt. Conception and Pigeon Point until May 1st. It did not help that the DFG hotline had wrong info too, but supposedly it has been corrected.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
Jimmyz123

Talk about you loop holes, man they could have been writing many tickets for the last couple of weeks. I know many people that go out for Lings starting April 1st.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
Johnp

Rockfish can change from day to day and they expect you to call the hotline if you plan to fish them.

Rastrev you are stating they are open in this area. Fish and game warden did not hesitate to say they are currently closed. If I am in error I apologize, just wanted to save someone a ticket if the info was correct.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
GregAndrew

The sportboats are fishing for them at the Channel Islands and elsewhere, so I think Rastrev is correct.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote