Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Advice?

Hey guys. Been a while since I've been fishing so I tend to stay off the site cuz it bums me oout to live vicariously! Looks like I'm missing lots though. A while back I shared that I have the opportunity to go on a 6 day on the Vagabond in September. It's coming up and I'm pretty excited. I have always gotten good advice on this site so here goes:

Is 65# spectra good enough or should I get some bigger too? I have little experience with spectra and have always been a mono girl, but so many times, I see the guys who use spectra with a flouro leader and they do get bit more.

So what kind of knot for spectra to flouro, from flouro to hook? What is the best way to learn these knots? I need to start practicing them now so they get to be natural for me when the time is right.

Hooks? I like gamakatsu and owners with the little rings on them. Size? Advice on hooks? On a 6 day I am told, there is the potential for bigger fish. Any info you guys can provide is greatly appreciated!

Janine
Old 07-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
double p

janine,

i, too, wanted to find a good, easy to tie, strong reliable knot for spectra to flouro/mono. i found a great youtube video by the "lets talk hook up" guys on the rp (royal polaris) knot. it is very easy to tie and seems to be a very strong knot.

paul
double p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #3
5-20

For the spectra/fluoro connection, the albright's really good and its pretty easy to tie. For the fluoro/hook end, the san diego jam or palomar.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
troutking

ALBRIGHT KNOT

Janine,

I have been using the albright knot from 65lb spectra to 30lb flouro and have never had the knot separate. This knot is easy to learn and apply.

Hope this helps,

-T
troutking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Carp
(⌐■_■)--︻╦╤─ - - -

I have had luck w/
double uni (spectra to Fluro)
Palomar spectra to hook.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
jorluivil

If I'm not using swivels here's what I do

Spectra to Mono or Flouro: Albright knot

Mono or Flouro to Hook: Improved clinch knot

Hooks: all circle hooks size 1 or 2

I haven't had a knot fail me

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Thank you all! I looked at the RP knot. I will try it tomorrow. I also know the improved clinch and have always used it, so I will continue (you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks!). Now circle hooks... I have never used them. I hear you are not supposed to set the hook. Is that right? Why is a circle hook better than the others?

Janine
Old 07-23-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Now circle hooks... I have never used them. I hear you are not supposed to set the hook. Is that right? Why is a circle hook better than the others?

Janine

This is how circle hooks work

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
octico

That RP knot looks amazingly easy and strong. I was in a pinch for time the other day and tied a quick and easy blood ... big mistake. Lost a nice Cuda ... that's what I get for being in rush. Anyone else have experience with the RP knot?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I like albright, or bimini twist (spectra) to albright (mono) which is what the guys at the LTS use. Everything else I use a palomar because it works great with any line and if I remember right is one of the strongest knots.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #11
momo fish

For certain types of fishing where you would need the fish to hook them self would be more beneficial to use circle hooks (bottom fishing) For your type of trip and given that you are not a rookie j hooks would work better. Baiting is much easier especially when the bite is good.

I have tried both and now use j hooks for top water fish especially after talking to deckhands and captain of the boat. Still use circle hooks for rockfishing and other bottom fish.

And buy a variety of sizes especially smaller hooks like 2 and 1/0 in case bait is small and fish are picky as well as floro from 15 up to 60. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
Thank you all! I looked at the RP knot. I will try it tomorrow. I also know the improved clinch and have always used it, so I will continue (you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks!). Now circle hooks... I have never used them. I hear you are not supposed to set the hook. Is that right? Why is a circle hook better than the others?

Janine
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #12
SLYACKER

Modified albright (7up7back) thats how i do it anyway work great, and cant go wrong with the palomar simple and strong

Sent using Tapatalk
SLYACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Janine, check out the Fisherman's Landing website on tackle recommendations (has some good basic stuff!). This length of trip can have the necessity for the most equipment because of the variety of fish you could run into.
My 7-10 day trips I tend to bring "the kitchen sink" (a rod for each species and size with appropriate line 10-15 rods).
Something they don't mention, I'd bring extra (1/4# spools of mono, for back up, up to 40#...I personally bring 1# and 3# spools up to 80#) because if you get into many "WFO" bites you could end up in a few tangles and lose quite a bit of line which may require respooling one or more times! Though they do carry extra terminal tackle and line on some boats I don't remember if the Vagabond does (only fished w/Art a couple times), in a good bite you may have to wait until someone is free to help you (but by that time the bite is winding down or hopefully not over!).
Circle hooks are good because they do hook fish themselves and in the corner of the mouth.
Ringed hooks can sometimes help your bait swim more naturally but bulk packs can be expensive (and that's ALL I buy just NOT the ringed ones! I tie my Tuna/Dodo Flies with them also). I buy Owner Power Split rings to add if absolutely necessary and pre rig a handful (my personal preference is a dozen to start then restock at night) to start.
Given the unusual year we're having this year, I'd keep careful watch on the multi-day fish counts to see what they're catching. September can be a really good time of year as the Big Eye Tuna tend to show about this time!
A week before your trip call the landing and see if they have any "last minute" recommendations and where the boat may plan to fish (sometimes you can thin out some of the gear if the fishing is real good or tough.)
Feel free to P.M. me if you have any other ?'s
Hope this helps. Just my .02
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 07-23-2014 at 11:17 PM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #14
Cbad Mike

I use uni to uni for spectra to fluorocarbon
And a San Diego Jam for the hook. I've never lost a knot yet.

If you need a refresher on how to tie knots check out
NETKNOTS. com

Good luck
Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 AM   #15
walrus

You started the thread by saying you have used only mono in the past.

When braid line first hit the scene, many commercial boats did not like clients using it. The problem as they saw it, was too many lost the fish at the strike.
The braid does not stretch and hooks would be yanked from the fishes mouth.

If it's your first experience with using braid set a lighter drag for strikes and use a fast action rod. Most boats have the correct gear to loan, all you have to do is pay for the line. On the way down talk to the crew about drag settings, they'll help because they want you to have a great time, catch fish, and tell all of us about your catch so we'll want to go to.

RP knot for braid to spectra, floro to hook whichever you have become really good at tying is my recommendation.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 AM   #16
PapaDave

I use a uni for the hook, seems to work pretty good.

Be careful on the uni to uni on the braid-fluorocarbon link, if the diameter of the braid is a lot smaller than the flouro it may end up cutting through it.

There is a pretty easy knot to tie but I don't know the name, a deck hand showed it to me on an 8 day. Talk to the mates, they will be happy to show you.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:35 AM   #17
gary sullivan

Lot of good recommendations. One thing that wasn't mentioned is to not use green spectra. In darkened weather conditions it's very hard to see where your line is in relation to others nearby. You can't follow your line if you can't see it. Personally I use white 65 lb. test spectra with a 4-5 foot top-shot of fluorocarbon and J hooks to easily pin the bait on.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus View Post
RP knot for braid to spectra, floro to hook whichever you have become really good at tying is my recommendation.
This is my recommendation as well. 65# spectra is good. With 6 days your probably most likely going to fish all this tuna, yellowtail and dorado that's close, with a possibility of going to cedros and benitos. Make sure that you bring lots of flouro of different sizes, from 20-50#. Switch leaders depending on what kind of bait, what kind of fish and how good they're biting.
'

As far as hooks...I prefer J hooks. Owners and Gamakatsu hooks are excellent hooks but don't overlook the mustad's. Mustad hooks are pretty much disposable and cost pennies, vs dollars....and they have a bigger barb that holds a bait and holds a fish. Bring some smaller hooks like a size 2 or 4 for anchovy (just in case). Also bring 1/0 to 4/0 maybe even 5/0 hooks for the larger baits. Ringed hooks are nice to have, definitely bring some, they allow the bait to swim more naturally, you will likely get bit more. Another option is to tie a sandiego jam knot but not to cinch it down all the way, just leave a small loop, that will act as a ring. If you get bit the whole knot will cinch down tight.

Now as far as fishing spectra...it's great for fishing tuna! I personally love fishing spectra for tuna. If you have a lever drag reel that's a real plus when fishing with spectra because you can make drag adjustments quickly on the fly, more pressure or less pressure.

If you don't have a 2 speed reel get one, or borrow one or rent one. When the fishing gets hot and heavy...having that second gear is a life saver, and will allow you to catch more fish quickly.

Remember the rail is your friend!

Good luck!
Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #19
bubblehide

Hooks

The size hook generally depends on the bait your using. Your on a 6 day, so I suspect that the boat will make bait at some point; but you'll likely be starting off with anchovies as off a week ago, that was all that has been available, with exception of some Macks. So, I'd take everything from a 2 to a 6/0, just to cover all my bases.

It's possible that you could fish as far down as Alijos rocks, but I wouldn't think they would run down that far on a 6 day, as they can find good fishing well before Alijos, and they'd burn 2 days/nights getting there and back.

Up to 65 pound Floro is fine, you shouldn't need anything heavier, except for trolling, and the boat will have trolling rigs; but you might want to bring your own pre-rigged troll jigs/lure's, with 100#. I am not sure if the wahoo are still within range of a 6 day, but you may want to bring some wahoo rigs, in case they are (a call in to the Vagabond just before the departure date should answer this)

Fish spectra with short tops shots of floro, not only because your likely to get bit more, but because if you don't everyone else will be, and you'll get cut off on a regular basis. Besides, in the long run, it's less expensive, as your only changing your top-shot.

Dont forget some cast-able jigs, like salas, tady, 6X Jr, mega baits... as the fish are also hitting the jigs well right now.

Best of luck!
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #20
Fishwhisperer619

I tend to run a very long leader so it the knot passes through my guides. Uni to uni was what i used to tie until I learned how to tie an alberto knot (or at least thats what I was told its called). Low profile and simple enough. Allows me to use my long leaders and not worry about getting hung up or anything. Good luck on your trip!
Fishwhisperer619 is offline   Reply With Quote