Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #21
lamb

Dr. Moyer, Hippoglossus Stenolepis??

Anisakis Simplex I think it is.... The Parasite.

I seem to find them in about half of halibut I encountered in "my research" so far... if not more.

Nasty chit. It's easy to over look 'em, even if you're looking hard. I was finding them wiggling on the top of fillet, that stayed overnight in the fridge in ziplock bag... on the fish that was "clean", I thought I didn't see any when I cut it.

They mostly seem to be hanging on the guts, but often they seem to take a seed on the lower belly, on the inside. Whole bunch of them bundled up, rooted in the belly flash. Sometimes on the upper stomach fillet....

That piece of the belly... hazardous material.
Throw away, or maybe take it to treat the boss you absolutely hate.

Supposedly, humans are too tough for Anisakis Simplex; they die if they end up, in majority of humans... but still - in some rare cases, they are fine with some unfortunate folks as hosts. Often there's is an allergic reacton... Scary.

"Cooking fish to 140ºF (60ºC) for 10 minutes, freezing fish at -4ºF (-20ºC) for at least 7 days, or blast freezing fish to -31ºF (-35ºC) for 15 hours kill the larvae."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/lo...in-your-sushi/

Funny, I posted on this on couple of fishing boards - boddyboaters, and I think bastards - they both went down....

Holy Flat!!!

The common English name, halibut, is derived from the Middle English term, “Hally butte” (hally meaning holy and butte denoting flat).

Baaaaaaaah

Last edited by lamb; 02-10-2010 at 11:16 PM.
lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #22
swinginFish

Worms

Adi,

Thanks for the follow-up/research on the worms. Accurate info. and really helpful.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #23
gary sullivan

Adi, worms or not, I'm envious. You and Jasmine make a great Tag team. In my mind your name is synonymous with those flatfish ever since you came running out of the surf dragging that 28 pound jackpot fish several years ago. Here is the link http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=1346

gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #24
bentrod1

LMFAO! Hilarious!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Is that you Adi?

Holy crap Andy, that Halibut wrestling just made my morning - nice pull!

Nice Hali - worms and all!!
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:30 AM   #25
DESTROYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary sullivan View Post
Adi, worms or not, I'm envious. You and Jasmine make a great Tag team. In my mind your name is synonymous with those flatfish ever since you came running out of the surf dragging that 28 pound jackpot fish several years ago. Here is the link http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=1346

What the Hell is Brad wearing??? I took a shot Adi...Very common parasite in flat fish. Cook those worms...protein
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #26
fishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESTROYER View Post
PBers SUCK...
Old 02-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post

"Cooking fish to 140ºF (60ºC) for 10 minutes, freezing fish at -4ºF (-20ºC) for at least 7 days, or blast freezing fish to -31ºF (-35ºC) for 15 hours kill the larvae."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anisakis
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/lo...in-your-sushi/

Baaaaaaaah
Get a dive light and shine it through the fillets to find worms. Adi, you catch so many halibut you might want to build a light box to candle your fish.

If you cook halibut to 140 degrees internal temp and hold it at that temp for ten minutes you are going to have a dry, flaky, flavorless mess. I prefer halibut cooked until the center just loses the translucence, so I guess I'm taking a gamble. If you use dry ice to freeze your halibut, you can easily achieve the -31ºF needed to quickly kill the parasites.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Gino

I keep the smaller ones alive on the gameclip, gaffing doesnt kill them right away, takes sometimes a couple hours. all they do is swim around a little. and its buy you time on a hot bite.

If you leave them dead to long, The worms crawl out of the stomach and into the good meat.

If you get a Big one I'd imagine pop a kill and paddle back in. let them swim aroudn a minute while your getting everythign resituated. they will still be plenty alive byt he time you land, then weigh it, gut it then throw it on ice.

Never had any worms in any of my halibut.

Nice Fish!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post
If you use dry ice to freeze your halibut, you can easily achieve the -31ºF needed to quickly kill the parasites.
yes, but does that mess up the meat?

i have dry ice and liquid nitrogen at my work, not far from LJ, i'm wondering if that would mess up the meat, the guys at my work think LN would destroy the meat cells.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:12 PM   #30
Ed
Fringe Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
yes, but does that mess up the meat?

i have dry ice and liquid nitrogen at my work, not far from LJ, i'm wondering if that would mess up the meat, the guys at my work think LN would destroy the meat cells.
I dry ice fish a lot for long trips. Vacuum bag it and make sure to put a towel between the fish and ice to prevent burning. Comes out excellent tablefare.
Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #31
Afran
fishy

Nice flatt-skis.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #32
habanero

Nice fish! Now I'm going to keep an eye out for them worms.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anisakis simplex, halibut worms