Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 05:31 PM   #1
1morecast
Junior

Kayak Rental Question

So, I have been on this board for a while, but don't actually own a Kayak. The storage, transporting and initial purchase price has all been reasons why I haven't purchased one yet. I have been Kayaking with my buddies sit-in kayak around SD Bay, but I'm hoping to try La Jolla. What are your thoughts on using one of the fishing Kayak rental companies? I found these guys online (Kayak Fishing SD). I'm kinda concerned about launching on my own and knowing where the MLPA area is since they don't have a GPS/Fishfinder on their rentals. Solutions and comments are all welcomed. Thanks
1morecast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
gary sullivan

You don't need a gps, just follow kayak fishermen out to where they start fishing for bait. Leash everything you don't want to lose since your only experience has been on the bay and wear a pfd. Stay within ear shout of others in case you run into trouble. Know how to upright a kayak and be able to get back into it before you go into the open ocean. When you launch into the surf keep the nose pointed into the oncoming wave and paddle as hard as you can until well beyond the surf line. Coming back in "Good Luck" and have fun.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
NICKWORN

A+++ Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1morecast View Post
So, I have been on this board for a while, but don't actually own a Kayak. The storage, transporting and initial purchase price has all been reasons why I haven't purchased one yet. I have been Kayaking with my buddies sit-in kayak around SD Bay, but I'm hoping to try La Jolla. What are your thoughts on using one of the fishing Kayak rental companies? I found these guys online (Kayak Fishing SD). I'm kinda concerned about launching on my own and knowing where the MLPA area is since they don't have a GPS/Fishfinder on their rentals. Solutions and comments are all welcomed. Thanks
Kaleb is a great guy and will help you launch at all cost. I have used his service for quite a few buddies even dudes from South Florida Kayak fishing that came out to fish LJ.

As far as MLPA, just go 100YDS past Flag Pole sticking up on one of the buildings to your left and you will be fine. You will also see people making bait which will tell you your good to go.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

PS best thing about Kaleb's company is that you dont have to set up or breakdown your kayak after and before your trip, he takes care of it all!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #4
1morecast
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
Kaleb is a great guy and will help you launch at all cost. I have used his service for quite a few buddies even dudes from South Florida Kayak fishing that came out to fish LJ.

As far as MLPA, just go 100YDS past Flag Pole sticking up on one of the buildings to your left and you will be fine. You will also see people making bait which will tell you your good to go.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

PS best thing about Kaleb's company is that you dont have to set up or breakdown your kayak after and before your trip, he takes care of it all!
Thanks..good to hear from someone who has used this company.
1morecast is offline   Reply With Quote