Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Siebler

Short lobster report. Opener in MB

Dove MB with Troutman last night(this morning rather). Basically vis sucked big time and people sucked even more. vis was 3-4' at its best. People were running around the bay at 15mph with no lights on.

Then we had a guy that thought it was OK to bring his boat within 10' of my head without me knowing. He claimed it was all good because he saw me and knew where I was. Got into a bit of a fight with him over respecting the dive flags, kayaks, and flashing lights but he wanted nothing to do with it. Total as we were in this area 1 hour before him and he claimed "its a small area and we need to share it".

Anyways we saw literal 100's of shorts. Could have had 2 legals however the eel that was in the same hole didn't want to give up his lobster buddies. Dove from 12-4 for no legals. Hoopers im sure did better just because of the water clarity.

That is all, will be back out tomorrow on the boat and then maybe do some bay diving after we dock.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM   #2
Matt
Support your local pangas

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! Is the success rate for my first time ever boat hoopin'!!! Fished outside of MB offf the OB pier and cliffs for only one legal for the capt. of our vessel!! Oh well back to yak hoopin' and hopefully some success!!! Good try CJ the water clarity and the washing machine effect wasn't helpful!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I got one tonight in my super secret OC spot....kinda crowded tonight

1 is a million times better than none
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Siebler

Brett just called and he dove a few hours tonight for 1 legal and a lot of shorts.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Rusty

I dove MB jetty on the outside tonight. Vis sucked, surge was moderate. Millions of shorts and only saw two legals. One didn't want to come out of his hole. Managed to find another though.

Fresh from the pot... Yum.
Attached Images

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
aguachico

Hey CJ; how far does a boat have to stay away?

More importantly, how close do the divers have to stay near their vessel?

Too bad about the skunk.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #7
SurfFishDiveDog

NEED TO GET THAT SKUNK SMELL OFF

Dove 3 AM yesterday off La Jolla. Perfect night, easy launch/landing, little to no swell or wind. Dove in 50 feet for about 40 minutes, visibility was about 15 feet.

Lots of shorts crawling around, bagged two that were marginal, remeasured on the Yak and set them free. Commercial guys will keep those two in a few weeks ..... they were that close.

PM me if you are interested in paddling out with someone for a dive. Ready, willing and able in the evening, middle of the night or early morning.
SurfFishDiveDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Siebler

Art,What ive found:

"
As far as we know, California state law still is not specific about how far away boaters need to be from a dive flag. As stated above, Title 14, Section 7008, only states that operators of vessels will "exercise precaution."
However, California Boating Regulations are very specific that you must remain go under five miles per hour within 100 feet of "any person who is engaged in the act of bathing" and 200 feet from a 'swimming float, diving platform, or lifeline' "

I was TOWING my flag on a Red and White Dive float 15' behind me and we were less than 40' from the kayaks with flags as well. This guy was just an arse.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
Handymansd
Ancient Member

It does seem like the majority of people skunked to a few... I had an enormously good opening night! I had 4 nets in MB in a not so secret spot, but others there in the same spot only managed one to none so it must be the yak color or something, or my secret bait chum mixture! One of them seemed ginormous but did not look so big in the picture.

CJ I am sorry you found one of the ass munch pb's on the water, but I found his brother diving. I should have taken a picture, but I also caught a black dive light with lobser guage on it and a broken wrist strap in my net at around 2:05am! It almost pulled me off the yak and into the water on my initial pull. To the punk diver that was pick pocketing my net.... want your light back?

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
tackle dummy
Junior

I got an "A+" on my report card!!!

tackle dummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
JrBasser

Yea that guy was a total nutcase. That Eel was a trip! It's weird that huge solid seeming rocks have holes in the like that. The eels seem to be everywhere.

A lot of the legals I've found are hanging out pretty deep into holes. Yet my one legal of the season was crusing on some sand with no rocks within range and I got him pretty effortlessly. The measuring in the water is a different story. Still have to figure that one out.

Matt, you diving this weekend? CJ will be on the mothership trip so I need a dive buddy. I'd like to check out the tidal overflow in OB/Dog beach. Let me know if your interested

P.S. Chuck, I want my light back.

Haha kidding of course.

Last edited by JrBasser; 09-30-2008 at 05:55 PM.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
Matt
Support your local pangas

Hey Chuck,

That diver needs an iron in his lip!!!

Nice Job Gino that is an A+++++ fo' sho'!!!!

Oh and hey Chuck I could use a backup divelight and gauge if ya want to sell them!!
JrBasser pm sent yer way