Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
Yak Daddy
Waterman

New to Kayak Fishing...

Good morning all! Like the title says, I am green when it comes to kayak fishing. I am not green by any means when it comes to kayak spearfishing though. I want to learn more about rigging/setups for ocean fishin from my yak. Conditions arent always ideal for spearin, so I've realized that I need to grow my H&L skills.

Anyone mind me taggin along some time...? I can return the favor by getting good pics / video of whomever I'm with, havin a buddy out on the water & by hoppin in with my gun when theres surface action...

Thanks to any & all who can help out!
Yak Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Mr_Fixit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak Daddy View Post
Good morning all! Like the title says, I am green when it comes to kayak fishing. I am not green by any means when it comes to kayak spearfishing though. I want to learn more about rigging/setups for ocean fishin from my yak. Conditions arent always ideal for spearin, so I've realized that I need to grow my H&L skills.

Anyone mind me taggin along some time...? I can return the favor by getting good pics / video of whomever I'm with, havin a buddy out on the water & by hoppin in with my gun when theres surface action...

Thanks to any & all who can help out!
I am no expert by any means, but have certainly had some success and can pass along that which has been passed on to me. I would be more than happy to head out of La Jolla with you on a weekend and see if we can get a Yellowtail. PM if interested.
Mr_Fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #3
Dannowar

If you're trying to do both I would suggest a couple jig sticks. Can the live bait or your kayak will be full to the brim with unnecessary gear.

Honestly though I'd just pick one or the other. Especially if you're new to the game. Check the vis beforehand and if it sucks,like it has all year, bust out the rods.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
If you're trying to do both I would suggest a couple jig sticks. Can the live bait or your kayak will be full to the brim with unnecessary gear.

Honestly though I'd just pick one or the other. Especially if you're new to the game. Check the vis beforehand and if it sucks,like it has all year, bust out the rods.
Yea definitely not trying to do both on the same trip. Either or depending on conditions.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Fixit View Post
I am no expert by any means, but have certainly had some success and can pass along that which has been passed on to me. I would be more than happy to head out of La Jolla with you on a weekend and see if we can get a Yellowtail. PM if interested.
Sounds great! Thank you!
Old 08-30-2016, 07:38 PM   #6
JayDee
Junior

Not to hijack your thread but im in the same boat (no pun intended) but even just hitting the Bay before venturing out in open ocean i'd be down to hit up the bay.

Let me know if you guys would be down for a bay trip.
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:21 AM   #7
Dingokevin

Will be fishing SD bay Friday. pm me for details.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Dingokevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:55 PM   #8
HobieOneCanoebe

I'm down to bring out my speargun with you sometime
HobieOneCanoebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
TJones

I was hoping Dan

Would take me out , but since that did not pan out yet , I'm down to get my feet wet with anybody.👍🏽. I did manage to mark 2 of his yellowtail coordinates . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 PM   #10
Phishphood

I'm headed out Friday from LJ with a friend. Anyone is welcome to join. I don't have any fancy electronics though...

Might hit the bay in the afternoon too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #11
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Conditions are beautiful right now for gettin in the water! I do tours in LJ & I havent seen the water this clear outside the preserve in a while! Anybody want to hop in today? 2/3 hrs before low tide - 2/3 hrs after have been suuuper calm with 20- 40+ viz at times!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 AM   #12
Yak Daddy
Waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobieOneCanoebe View Post
I'm down to bring out my speargun with you sometime
Lets do this! Conditions are supposed to be great till about tuesday. Ill be out there everyday! Kayak strapped to the truck rack always if needed. Or we can just shore dive...