Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-22-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
BenCantrell

Social distance kayaking

Did my longest paddle to date yesterday, 19.9 miles out of Mission Bay, hitting several rock piles to bring home fish for the freezer. Blog post link below.

https://bencantrellfish.blogspot.com...-kayaking.html

Last edited by BenCantrell; 03-22-2020 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Chopped off part of the link.
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #2
ProfessorLongArms

Nice catch and impressive distance!!! FYI your blogspot link is dead
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 03:50 PM   #3
deptrai

Interesting blog read.

Why did you use 40#? Did you feel the need or is that just what you had spooled up?

I've been practicing social distance kayaking myself over the last two weeks in Depoe Bay.
Attached Images

deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorLongArms View Post
Nice catch and impressive distance!!! FYI your blogspot link is dead
Thanks for catching that. I accidentally chopped off the L in html when I copy and pasted it.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by deptrai View Post
Why did you use 40#? Did you feel the need or is that just what you had spooled up?
I hoped I could get jigs back if they got stuck with the 40 lb. Maybe bend the hook or break off whatever it was stuck to on the bottom. It didn't work in this case though.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #6
TJones

Get Some

. thanks for sharing.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #7
da22y

Fishing only , no chatting allowed..

Thanks for sharing..

I was fishing Sat. early morning in LJ too.
Still see people chatting to each other on the beach.

Fishing , no chatting , keep distance to other people.
Drive from A ( your home) to B ( launch site) and back !

Staying alive is a blessing.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #8
buckygoesfishing
Junior

Thanks for sharing man! Love these posts.

Do you have any recommended lures? I went out today in RB and was only successful on squid/mackerel. My red hookup bait didn't get any action.
buckygoesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckygoesfishing View Post
Thanks for sharing man! Love these posts.

Do you have any recommended lures? I went out today in RB and was only successful on squid/mackerel. My red hookup bait didn't get any action.
I'll be honest, I don't send a jig down unless it has squid on the hook, so I don't really think it matters. Make sure the jig hits the bottom a bunch of time and makes some noise to attract the fish. I've used Megabaits, Point Wilson Darts, P-Line Laser Minnows, and yesterday a Bridgeport Diamond Jig. Usually I swap out the treble for a single hook. A very rough rule of thumb is 2 oz for 100 ft, 3 oz for 200 ft, 4 oz for 300 ft, and add 1-2 oz to those numbers if you're drifting from the wind.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:58 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

Hoopnet..?

Did you hoop net for those crabs...?

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #11
deptrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Did you hoop net for those crabs...?
In Oregon we use traps for crab. The $15 Danielson ones. Limit 12 male crab.
Attached Images

deptrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #12
Saba Slayer

thanks

Yea...thanks...with a closer look I can see they are Dungies...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #13
buckygoesfishing
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
I'll be honest, I don't send a jig down unless it has squid on the hook, so I don't really think it matters. Make sure the jig hits the bottom a bunch of time and makes some noise to attract the fish. I've used Megabaits, Point Wilson Darts, P-Line Laser Minnows, and yesterday a Bridgeport Diamond Jig. Usually I swap out the treble for a single hook. A very rough rule of thumb is 2 oz for 100 ft, 3 oz for 200 ft, 4 oz for 300 ft, and add 1-2 oz to those numbers if you're drifting from the wind.
Thanks man, I gotta check out those lures. Those are good tips. I was rigging 8oz sinkers @ 270-350ft. It started getting tiring after a few hours on the water. I guess I'll go down to 3-5oz.
buckygoesfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:46 AM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Interesting Blog, Nice Photos, Great Exercise!
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:54 AM   #15
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckygoesfishing View Post
Thanks man, I gotta check out those lures. Those are good tips. I was rigging 8oz sinkers @ 270-350ft. It started getting tiring after a few hours on the water. I guess I'll go down to 3-5oz.
Using braid lets you get away with lighter weights. The bigger cross section of mono requires a heavier weight. Just remember that you are also giving up the stretch of mono and adjust your hookset accordingly so that you are not ripping the hook out.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
lamb

Thanks for sharing. I dig your blog! You enthusiasm and excitement for the sport on your quest to discover and learn is contagious
This is quite a trip you pulled off there - especially for rockfish.
Please forgive me, not trying to be smart ass - just a brotherly advice, as I don't know how experienced you are: be extremely careful with these kinds of long range trips. Keep an eye on the forecast, pick your days carefully. Make sure there is no Santa Ana in the forecast.
The drop off/deep blue is less then 1/4 mile W from where you were. I've caught or seen yt, bluefin, dorado, yellowin, even wahoo few years back caught right there. Not to say there are there all the time. But there are days in the summer/fall when they are. Those are the days big game hookup craving would justify such a lengthy trip on a yak, at least for me.
For rockfish, there is simply no need. You can find them much closer in.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #17
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Thanks for sharing. I dig your blog! You enthusiasm and excitement for the sport on your quest to discover and learn is contagious
This is quite a trip you pulled off there - especially for rockfish.
Please forgive me, not trying to be smart ass - just a brotherly advice, as I don't know how experienced you are: be extremely careful with these kinds of long range trips. Keep an eye on the forecast, pick your days carefully. Make sure there is no Santa Ana in the forecast.
The drop off/deep blue is less then 1/4 mile W from where you were. I've caught or seen yt, bluefin, dorado, yellowin, even wahoo few years back caught right there. Not to say there are there all the time. But there are days in the summer/fall when they are. Those are the days big game hookup craving would justify such a lengthy trip on a yak, at least for me.
For rockfish, there is simply no need. You can find them much closer in.
Thanks!

You're definitely not being a smart ass. It's a long ways from shore, and I know things can get rough if the wind picks up. I've been choosing my days carefully, making sure the forecast doesn't show anything over 10 mph wind. However, if the forecast changes after I launch, I could get into trouble. I've been meaning to set an alarm on my phone for around 10am to check if the afternoon forecast has changed. It would be a good habit to get into.

My next long paddle will be between 20 and 25 miles, but I think I'll stay closer to shore to do it. Maybe launch from La Jolla and go north to the south end of Swami's SMCA and back. That way I'll be closer to shore and/or other boats if anything were to happen.

And yeah, haha, I know there are closer rockfish to be had. The edge of LJ Canyon once you're past the MLPA is 2 miles from the launch, and you can target 300-400 ft pretty easily. This trip was specifically to get the miles in, and I used rock piles to break it up and get some fishing in.

I'm excited for this summer! I've caught a grand total of one yellowfin, and it was five years ago. Same for skipjacks. And I still haven't caught a yellowtail that isn't so small that I'm embarrassed to post the pic.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #18
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

So following up on the rock fish. Can one peddle out to the 150-200ft mark of the canyon there in LJ and just start jigging with some shrimp flies and expect to catch rock fish? Anything special you need to look for before a drop?

I fished the point and the kelp there late last year for the first time and caught some great Calicos. I kept looking over my shoulder t word the canyon but did not get a chance to make it over there.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #19
BenCantrell

You'll still need to find structure, even at the canyon edge. I think a lot of the edge is sandy flat transitioning to sandy slope, and the sheer rock face doesn't start until much deeper. Great for sanddabs, and maybe tiny halfbanded rockfish, but not bigger rockfish worth bringing home. With that said, I think if you follow the canyon edge you're more likely to stumble upon a good rock pile than if you're out on the big sand flats to the west.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:20 AM   #20
lamb

You are a trooper!
Looking forward to read about your next fishing adventures!