Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2020, 10:50 PM   #1
45user

Lowrance hook 2 7”

So my old HDS 5 gen 2 ff is about had it and about to give up ghost. I was looking at hook 2 7” screen and wanted to hear your opinion if you are using one. Is it easy to adjust? Works well in deep water? I don’t fish freshwater too often. I’d love to have elite model but it looks like hook2 is on clearance now and seems to fit my budget better.
Thanks for your replies in advance
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
FISH11

I also have a HDS5 Gen2 that I bought over 6 years ago. It's still working and I've used it so long I know how to use it well. Since 2016 I also own a Lorance TI 7 and love a lot of things on it, but after using the touch screen for years now, I prefer the select buttons. I have a friend who bought a Hook2 7 and he's had a lot of problems with the connections. Provably half the trips since he bought it, it didn't work when at the launch. I tried to see if it might be set up setting, but no there are many differences in their quest to keep the cost down. To me I would not buy a Hook2 series FF. How they read as the bootom keep changing while moving. The screen appears to have to start a new reading so the screen has a bunch of restart points as it scrolls across (too weird). From the changes the manufactures have made to the medium to low priced FF, I think they are junk. Unfortunately after the FF's I have used I would not go backwards and would need to spend $500-$1200. That's not happening, I had the TI 5 for about 5 months and it had touch screen issues, so I used the West Marine Warranty to get a refund and paid the difference for the TI 7 with downscan in 2016 and it was around $800 then. I never used one but I though the original Hook series might have been ok, but now they only sell the Hook 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HDS5Pict2020.jpg (48.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Low...TI 7 pict on the water.jpg (46.1 KB, 114 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 06-07-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: add picts
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:31 AM   #3
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
I also have a HDS5 Gen2 that I bought over 6 years ago. It's still working and I've used it so long I know how to use it well. Since 2016 I also own a Lorance TI 7 and love a lot of things on it, but after using the touch screen for years now, I prefer the select buttons. I have a friend who bought a Hook2 7 and he's had a lot of problems with the connections. Provably half the trips since he bought it, it didn't work when at the launch. I tried to see if it might be set up setting, but no there are many differences in their quest to keep the cost down. To me I would not buy a Hook2 series FF. How they read as the bootom keep changing while moving. The screen appears to have to start a new reading so the screen has a bunch of restart points as it scrolls across (too weird). From the changes the manufactures have made to the medium to low priced FF, I think they are junk. Unfortunately after the FF's I have used I would not go backwards and would need to spend $500-$1200. That's not happening, I had the TI 5 for about 5 months and it had touch screen issues, so I used the West Marine Warranty to get a refund and paid the difference for the TI 7 with downscan in 2016 and it was around $800 then. I never used one but I though the original Hook series might have been ok, but now they only sell the Hook 2.
Thank you for your reply! My HDS seems like having a connection issue. It would work for a while then it starts not reading depth and from there on it’s not useable. I then clean out the ports and connection and put electric grease then it starts working again but not this time... not sure if I just want to get a new transducer and connection cable or if it’s gone For good.
Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2020, 09:19 AM   #4
NICKWORN

HOOK SERIES Shallow water

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45user View Post
So my old HDS 5 gen 2 ff is about had it and about to give up ghost. I was looking at hook 2 7” screen and wanted to hear your opinion if you are using one. Is it easy to adjust? Works well in deep water? I don’t fish freshwater too often. I’d love to have elite model but it looks like hook2 is on clearance now and seems to fit my budget better.
Thanks for your replies in advance
The original Hook had the 83/200 transducer, but sine the introduction to the Hook2 series it has not and runs a hybrid HighCHirp for Sonar, which isnt good for deep water. The new Hook reveal has the same issue, except now they offer the "deep water" version which is just a 50/200 transducer, but its priced at $800, HUH!?!?! ok Lowrance...lol

I just made this mistake and returned the hook for the Ti2 7" with US/CAN maps for $728 shipped to door ($50 rebate so $678 to be exact). The Ti and HDS both have "reveal" and way better processors then the hook line.

Spend the extra buck unless you dont fish deep waters, then the hook reveal is great, plus Lowrance has $100 rebate.
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
The original Hook had the 83/200 transducer, but sine the introduction to the Hook2 series it has not and runs a hybrid HighCHirp for Sonar, which isnt good for deep water. The new Hook reveal has the same issue, except now they offer the "deep water" version which is just a 50/200 transducer, but its priced at $800, HUH!?!?! ok Lowrance...lol

I just made this mistake and returned the hook for the Ti2 7" with US/CAN maps for $728 shipped to door ($50 rebate so $678 to be exact). The Ti and HDS both have "reveal" and way better processors then the hook line.

Spend the extra buck unless you dont fish deep waters, then the hook reveal is great, plus Lowrance has $100 rebate.
Thanks for the info! So the hook 2 is out of the question for me. I am going to give one more good cleaning on the HDS and see if that works.
I hope it does otherwise I will be out of ff for a while..
Old 06-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #6
chris138
donkey roper

Man it's too bad Lowrance entry level is really falling off. Their old elite HDI models were so rock-soild, bulletproof units that just sipped the amps. The early hook series was legit still, but starting with hook 2 they really went downhill. If you are looking for that entry level 7" unit around 300$ I would recommend the Garmin Striker series they seem pretty solid though I don't have that much experience with them personally.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:31 PM   #7
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
Man it's too bad Lowrance entry level is really falling off. Their old elite HDI models were so rock-soild, bulletproof units that just sipped the amps. The early hook series was legit still, but starting with hook 2 they really went downhill. If you are looking for that entry level 7" unit around 300$ I would recommend the Garmin Striker series they seem pretty solid though I don't have that much experience with them personally.
Thank you for your reply! I’m not sure how their transducer will fit in my lowrance ready outback. But definitely look into that option as well!
Thanks again!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Thank you for your reply! I’m not sure how their transducer will fit in my lowrance ready outback. But definitely look into that option as well!
Thanks again!
I think the skimmer mount can be easily adapted. Let us know what you end up doing!
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #9
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris138 View Post
I think the skimmer mount can be easily adapted. Let us know what you end up doing!

Will do! I’m giving it another chance at a thorough cleaning. I will know when I get out next time.
Thanks! Btw I enjoy your videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #10
NICKWORN

Quote:
Will do! I’m giving it another chance at a thorough cleaning. I will know when I get out next time.
Thanks! Btw I enjoy your videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BerleyPro.com has conversions I believe for most of the FF transducer covers.

Worth a shot at least!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICKWORN View Post
BerleyPro.com has conversions I believe for most of the FF transducer covers.

Worth a shot at least!
Thank you! Still giving a little hope to revive this old workhorse!
Thanks again!