Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
jimmy310

what fishfinder to buy?

ok i got my tax money(700bucks) in which is the best fish finder hands down, and what battery and acccesories would i need to get it running?
jimmy310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
tacmik

dragonfly by raymarine. 12 volt battery. rest depends on how you are going to mount it. check the post just down from yours.

Last edited by tacmik; 02-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.
tacmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
ful-rac
Emperor

Lowrance Dragonfly GT with Glide Technology of course.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
jimmy310

i was thinking about the dragonfly 5 what do you guys think ?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #5
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy310 View Post
i was thinking about the dragonfly 5 what do you guys think ?
That's what I have and I really happy with it.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
cell128
lizard king

How much is the 5? Does it have all that techy dragonfly stuff? How's the glass display with full light?
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Reelist

Raymarine Dragonfly6 w/navionics gold: less than $500 @ WestMarine.
Reelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
momo fish

Great deal right there and limited quantity so jump on it asap. It's $200 off and with tax and extended warranty it's $601. Leaves you some money to buy a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist View Post
Raymarine Dragonfly6 w/navionics gold: less than $500 @ WestMarine.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #9
cell128
lizard king

Damn that is a very tempting deal
Trying to find out what's the difference between the other one that's on sale same price but doesn't have navionics gold. But its regular price is $50 more than the other one
Old 02-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
jimmy310

ive heard the dragonfly has a problem with water going inside the chip storage??
Old 02-13-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
cell128
lizard king

If I get it gonna get 2 year warranty not too worried about water damage its worth it. Or throw some goop on the card slot. Probably never open it up anyways
Old 02-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #12
momo fish

No difference, just the price... I would order it asap before they run out. Get the one with the navi card..

Reviews for this unit online and on BWE have all been positive so you can buy with confidence.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:12 PM   #13
Dannowar

So wait. You're gonna buy a top of the line fish finder not knowing anything about fish finders.....then you're gonna goop the memory card slot?!

Buy yourself an elite 4, learn how to use the thing and spend your extra money on titties and beer. Or whatever else.....
Old 02-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #14
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post

Buy yourself an elite 4, learn how to use the thing and spend your extra money on titties and beer. Or whatever else.....
DING DING DING

Best advise so far
Old 02-13-2015, 01:30 PM   #15
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
So wait. You're gonna buy a top of the line fish finder not knowing anything about fish finders.....then you're gonna goop the memory card slot?!

Now this is a smart man.
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:19 PM   #16
momo fish

Can you provide some background before its left to assumptions.

What are you currently using and how comfortable are you using fish finders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy310 View Post
ive heard the dragonfly has a problem with water going inside the chip storage??
Old 02-13-2015, 02:37 PM   #17
TJones

Anyone fond

Of navico ? I mean Lowrance ? My first units were hummingbird and I had a really nice one . But now that I transitioned to the D.S. , hobie and Lowrance . What better combo is there? Has anyone tried the new gen 3 ? I know there is at least one user who has one? Some feedback would be appreciated . I guess it's that time of year . Flowers about to bloom and time to get a new fish finder . .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #18
cell128
lizard king

I got an elite 4....no complaints other then really would like a bigger screen now and navionics which is already $179 standalone who needs an elite 4hdi? Id sell it to upgrade to dragonfly
Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #19
FISH11

Buy yourself an elite 4, learn how to use the thing and spend your extra money on titties and beer. Or whatever else.....[/QUOTE]

Here Here. I have a couple of Lowrance Elite 4's and thought there was something better. I have now used at the same time a Dragonfly 4.7 that my grandson won with the HOW Cuda 14 last year. I have it as a selfcontained unit that attaches to a rail and has the transducer direct in the water with and attached ram mount. I have used it twice in mission bay, once in san diego bay and once out in LJ out to 250 feet depft. Being able to compare my Elite 4 and the Dragonfly at the same time made me appreciate the Elite 4. Way less cost and much more adjustments to sensitivity and any typre of noise filters. I was able to learn more about the ajustments on the Elite and was able to verify all the different types of signals. If I was looking for a new FF I would actually buy the Lowrance Elite 5 HDS. Very easy to use and read the screen. Someone said that West Marine is going to have a one day sale on Feb. 20th for like $350. I would jump on it.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #20
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
First off how much of that Tax Return do you want to spend?
I bought an Elite 5X DSI for my 2013 Outback.
The only 3 times I took it out was to Castaic (2x on the lagoon 1x on the upper lake), was to play (err...rather familiarize myself) with the Unit and how to access the functions/settings. It seemed to work OK [working the split screen(s), good clear marks once I figured out how to work the settings, structure, etc.), although I didn't fish (the upper lake) to test accuracy of the marks. I would have had the "Jailbirds" been out to play or if the LMB bite in the "Lagoon" had been decent. My only complaint (which was addressed by HOBIE for 2015), was that I couldn't get a temp reading due the interior "wet mount" (the only reasonable option other than the RAM transducer mount) I had ANDY at OEX SSB install on my Kayak and "some clutter" on the screen which I eventually filtered out.
I have heard so many good things about Lowrance products over the years and the performance of my Elite-5, I couldn't help myself when I had a chance at an HDS-8 DSI (for the screen size and dual SD slots) for under $1K for the new 2015 Outback I want to get when I'm better (will be great not having to "squint" to see the screen!).
This is just my opinion and I've noticed everyone seems to have their own preferences. Decide what's the most important to you, do the research and check the reviews from other members or fishing/boating Forums, pay attention to any recurring complaint(s) then make the best decision you can.
There is no guarantee that whatever you purchase will "be perfect" but then on the other hand you will learn what to look for in your next one!
Right now there's a big deal being made of the Dragonfly series (the 7 being the most popular) of FF on the market right now, haven't heard of any "glitches" just satisfied owners.
Best of luck in your search and decision.
FFY

Last edited by FlyFishinYakr; 02-14-2015 at 04:53 AM.
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote