Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
silentsmell

Unhappy noob alert, first report

My first report! I've been inshore fishing for about 5 years now, majority of the time on a buddy's boat to the Coronado Islands and Point Loma. Long story short, I'm hooked on kayak fishing!

Today was my 5th time out on the yak in La Jolla. Launched at 8:00am, a little late, but the conditions were good and I made bait pretty easily. I saw about 10 of you guys out there looking cozy and I paddled over. I had no luck on the iron, so I start paddling back to the kelp with my bait. Half an hour later, ZZZZZZZZZ! I set the hook and start reeling, fish on!

5 minutes in, the fish hasn't made a single run, but I'm having no luck getting him any closer to the yak.
10 minutes in, my rod tip starts to shake, 1-2-3. Cool, I let him run a little. My brother paddles up and starts watching me.
15 mins in, I have him right under my yak in about 100 ft of water. He pops up on my fish finder 90 ft. below. Then I notice it...a double uni knot, my line has been compromised! I had let a buddy borrow my rod last weekend, he must have cut the line; I say a little prayer hoping he tied it correctly.
20 mins in, the fish starts to run again, this time full speed! 15-20 head shakes. At this point he has taken about half the spool. I'm fishing with a Daiwa LD30 with 25lb P-Line.
25 mins in, I start cranking again, but this beast is angry, he isn't letting me reel in any more line. I decide to tighten the drag and buckle down. He makes another big run. My line starts making that little plucking sound as its rubbing against the guides, I panic and loosen the drag. Bam! Bird nest! I have no idea what I'm doing at this point, I tighten the drag and continue to reel, he runs again and I'm back to the bird nest. Game over

I have never gone to battle with anything with this much power, the biggest fish I've caught is a 33 inch halibut. Longest fight I've had was with a bat ray in Mission Bay. Help me out guys, what kinda fish do you think it was?
silentsmell is offline   Reply With Quote