Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Plastics wear and tear

When a fish pulls down the pants or the plastic gets torn, do you throw it away?

Or do you glue it back together to be used for another day...
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
blitzburgh

I usually discard them. I started pre-rigging a lot of my plastics on the lead using a couple drops of superglue and it is a world of difference. Now, the plasctic does'nt pull off. Instead, after some use, my plastics either get bit in half or just shredded.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

When a fish pulls down the pants or the plastic gets torn, do you throw it away?

Or do you glue it back together to be used for another day...
Usually goes in the bottom of the yak and tossed when I get finished cleaning up after the yard sale, lol...
However, I just thought of somethin',if the bait isn't too chewed, assuming it is a larger bait, I might just start saving them and take it off at the tail and use it in the surf, or use it on a 3/8 jig head as a smaller shorter bait...just a thought
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I usually discard them. I started pre-rigging a lot of my plastics on the lead using a couple drops of superglue and it is a world of difference. Now, the plasctic does'nt pull off. Instead, after some use, my plastics either get bit in half or just shredded.
Where exactly do you place the glue?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Dave k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Where exactly do you place the glue?

Check out swimbait.com. Lots of good info on this and other swimbait how-to's.

You can either put the glue between the leadhead and swimbait, or on the barb on the shank of the hook that goes into the bait.
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
wade

Forget the glue...
&
Get Zman!!!!!!!!!!

"Simply put, Z-Man is the fastest growing lure brand in the U.S. Our products virtually cover the waterfront - from trout stream to blue water. The Original ChatterBait® still dominates the bass scene, but these amazing baits are joined by a broad - over 500 SKUs - selection of soft plastics for virtually every fresh and saltwater situation including blue water trolling. A number of these baits are made from Z-Man's proprietary ElaZtech®, a remarkable substance that is soft and pliable yet as much as 10X Tougher than other soft plastic baits. Word of ElaZtech® is spreading like wildfire as these baits gain traction along the tournament trail and are the subject of an aggressive media blitz. Print ads and TV commercials demonstrate emphatically just how tough these baits really are. ElaZtech baits have been blasted with a shotgun, stabbed with steak knives, and chomped by barracuda. Despite that deliberate abuse, ElaZtech baits not only remain fishable but with their realistic appearance, they consistently outfish ordinary soft plastics by a wide margin. ElaZtech baits boast one of the highest Fish Per Bait ratings in the industry, and they are Non Toxic. ElaZtech contains no PVC, Plastisol or Pthalates."

http://zmanfishing.com/cms/

Zman Fishing: ElaZtech and the Assault Weapon

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #7
mtnbykr2

Tackle whore here...I am going to have to get some Zman
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #8
Nic D

unlike Wade, I prefer a really soft bait for better hook sets. Yes I do go through more plastics than the next guy, but I'd be willing to bet I miss less fish. The baits I use are Reebs Lures. Reebs are designed with tourney fishing in mind.

to get back to the original posters question... yes use some super glue and just lather your bait up in some BioEdge or unibutter scent and you'll be good.

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
wade

i was addressing the wiredantz question.
"When a fish pulls down the pants or the plastic gets torn, do you throw it away?"
NO,if you use Zman, you would not have to repair your baits or throw them away, they last 10X as long as your ordinary swimbaits........

Zman's baits aren't hard. some are just as soft as Reebs and softer, a completely different formula.. They have an amazing array of products for both Salt & Fresh water applications. I have some available if anyone wants to flip some ElaZtech any day in LJ or the Bay...your welcome to borrow a few & "try" your best to destroy them...

Im currently trolling around some larger models for some Threshers & Makos...

(i dont knock Reebs, in fact i live in Oside!! & He also seems like a really cool Guy.)

Last edited by wade; 06-07-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
redyak07

recycle plastic baits

I pour my own plastics. So I do recyle some of the baits that I use. Melt them down and re pour in to new baits. To answer your question, I have glued them in the past. It works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTS Fire T..JPG (150.9 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg OTS OJ.JPG (169.2 KB, 343 views)
redyak07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
dmrides

When you don't have glue, a lighter can be used to melt them to repair minor tears.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
PapaDave

ZMAN

Hi Wade, gave your Zman plastics a try and here are the results...

PROS:

1. They do last forever, caught over 50 bass, two small halibut and a bat ray on the first tail, a white Swimmerz, before loosing it on a rock.

2. The fish do seem to like it for some reason. And while a head to head comparison with Big Hammer was inconclusive, I went through 4 BH to one Swimmerz.

3. Can be used in several ways, dropshot, plain hook, carolina rig or lead head. I used a silver warhead for the test.

4. Did I mention they last forever? You can rehook them or even take one off and reuse it on another hook without damaging it.

CONS:

1. The fish that don't inhale them will not let go and you may find you are fighting a fish that is playing tug of war with the back half of the tail. Kind of funny actually.

2. Doesn't have the variety of patterns other products sport, which could be a good thing.

CONCLUSION:

I actually like these, I ordered some more. But Wade, I have to say you were holding out on us. You didn't mention the ShrimpZ. For all you spottie lovers, try them, I used a carolina rig. Probably not the most effective presentation, but it was certainly good enough. And don't be surprised if you nab a nice sandie or sculpin on them. Also, while fishing the bay, I saw some crabs floating on the surface, caught one, dropped it down and got hammered. I ordered some CrabZ, look just like those in the bay.

Take care all...
Old 05-16-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Raskal311

Dave where did you order these from?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
zinkysd
Hobie Fishing Team

If your baits are get torn off you can hot knife them at home and get more life out of them. Don't use superglue because once you glue them you can't heat them up and stick them back together.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
Old 05-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Dave where did you order these from?
At their web site. I do have to count points against them on shipping speed, they are s l o w. But it is worth the wait.

Ken, I can't drive a nail straight, you want me to do surgery on some plastic with a hot knife?

Besides, I think that even with surgery the Zman's will outlast the regular plastics. I can pull on those things and stretch them out 3' and they don't rip, tear or come off the head. They do slip down a little though but slide right back on.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #16
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
Im currently trolling around some larger models for some Threshers & Makos...
Alright, you've got my attention... Let me know when they release those. I'd be willing to buy some now if they have a few to use for trials.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #17
boxturtle

Recycle them if you dont reuse I think somebody at your tackle store would appreciate them
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #18
wade

ELAZTECH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
Alright, you've got my attention... Let me know when they release those. I'd be willing to buy some now if they have a few to use for trials.
I wasn't kidding when I said they have a bait for every application..Wide array.
I find they have a multitude of color choices to fit every natural forage bait we have, and additional color-ways for water clarity issues and many other applications.

Here are the awesome Z-Man StreakZ XL that closely resemble our Greenbacks in "Baby-Bass'. Almost all their super soft durometer ElaZtech baits come with a belly slot cavity for increased hook-sets and unlimited rigging possibilities. I will be throwing these around this weekend..& whoever is on the Islander this weekend will be provided with free ElaZtech.

Here is some ElaZtech action with over 50+ fish per bait used on multiple trips!

Thanks for giving an honest review & testing them out Dave. I got some others for you to try.. PM..

Last edited by wade; 05-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
YakMedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinkysd View Post
If your baits are get torn off you can hot knife them at home and get more life out of them. Don't use superglue because once you glue them you can't heat them up and stick them back together.

Ken
Team Dana Point Jet Ski
This is the winner, I've talked to Corey from MC swimbaits and he recommended the hot knife technique. If you glue it back together you lose flexibility in that area of the bait causing it to swim abnormal. I save my torn baits then hot knife at home and they are as good as new for the next trip.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #20
JarrodMc

After trying out those Zman lures, I do have to say, they are definitely a nice lure and they last all day! Thanks Wade!