Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

First Halibut of the Season - Alaska

Nothing to brag about other than its the first halibut of the season. Maybe 15 pounds. But at 10.99 a pound even in Alaska for Headed and gutted halibut, that's easily a hundred dollar bill on top of some really good eats! Launched in good weather, landed in good sized breakers and white caps.

It only gets better and bigger from here through July! Woohoo!

https://youtu.be/uum0-1DvrSk
Kardinal_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
FISH11

Good eats there. Congrats.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #3
chancy94

Nice one man!

Explore More http://voidventure.blogspot.com/
chancy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:20 AM   #4
nickc5

What part of Alaska are you in? I'll be on the Kenai out of RWs lodge June 21-28!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

I'm in Anchorage. Grew up in Kenai though. You should have a blast! Maybe if ya have a day, we can get ya out!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
My personal pages...I'm not a guide.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #6
nickc5

NICE man!!! I'm flying into Anchorage and driving down to the lodge. I won a 5 night stay which includes 3 salmon charters in a tournament i won in California. Im going to be staying for a few extra days to explore and see what else Alaska has to offer.

Catching some Alaskan Halibut on a yak would be sick! Let me know how we can link up. Also, any tips and general information that would make my trip even better would be great. Im really looking forward to this trip.

How can i contact you?
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Sweet. Let's get ya out!! Start with my email. Guidesak at hotmail dot com. I'm not a guide so no worries. Lol. If you are not average size bring up a dry suit. Bring one anyways. Lol. If all else fails I'll loan you a mini x or an outback. The mini x is easier transporting and you'll be able to fish about anywhere. Outback obviously is more ideal but a harder vacation transport. Perfect timing for halibut i'd think.

I'll have to look at dates again. I plan hours ahead for fishing so it's hard to wrap my mind around fishing next month. lol.

Let's fish!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
grey zone

Nice fish Rudy, I'll be up there at the end of next week and will be trying for rainbows. I hope 2016 I can get to the halibut fishing.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #9
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
Nice fish Rudy, I'll be up there at the end of next week and will be trying for rainbows. I hope 2016 I can get to the halibut fishing.

Sweet!! Make sure you holler when ya get here! 2016? Uh no. This year! Let's fish!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2015, 07:08 PM   #10
grey zone

I like the way you think!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #11
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Lol. It just seems like a major angling sin to be so close for so long and not try it. Wind and current can be a major pain and dangerous but if you shorten your window of exposure and pick a good day, it doesn't get any easier to catch a few good halibut than cook inlet. 30 to 50 ft of water and through the month of May, there are good kings too!!!

Not directed at you specifically but it would be CRAZY for anyone in your situation not to give it at least a try!!!!!

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #12
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey zone View Post
Next week? Like 22nd?
Where do you plan to rainbow fish? The Upper and Middle Kenai is going through their trout closures and the lakes are just starting to open up.

Keep in mind, I sponsor a kayak derby this year at the end of May. 30 & 31 to be exact. It'll be halibut only. Probably no better time than when a dozen or more folks are on the water. Cook Inlet always seems less intimidating with company.

I thought you said Sterling right? Maybe we can go check out Hidden Lake after it opens up. I want to try and add Lake trout to the list of fish caught from my kayak. They just aren't as good of eating as Kings or halibut. And yah, I am a meat fisherman first and foremost. I know too many people who enjoy fish, aren't as fortunate as I am to get out and fish, nor can they pay 25 bucks per pound for fillets of halibut or toll kings either. Hopefully thats not a problem with all the folks.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 PM   #13
grey zone

I will be arriving on the 22nd and staying through the 30th. I read somewhere that you were hosting a halibut tournament the last weekend of May. The first thing that I will be doing is looking for a truck to buy, I need a vehicle.

I'm going to fish the middle Kenai. I'm on the south shore between river mile 39-40 which is slightly before you get to Sterling from Anchorage. My subdivision is a mile past the end of Funny River Rd. and that puts me about 18 miles from Soldotna. I have access to the river through my subdivision so I thought I would put my waders on and walk/wade the shore while the water levels are low and try out some new flies. I picked up some sculpin patters, dolly lamas and some washed out flesh flies. I know the rainbows are spawning now and all the tributaries and a mile above the lower Kiley river is closed but the river is open to rainbow fishing where I'm at. I caught several rainbows last July in this area while fishing sockeye. I don't know my idea will work but its fun riding the quad down to the river and trying for a few hours.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Got it. Well maybe you can show me a spot on the middle River! I lived in Kenai 1971 to 1984. I know every rock and tree from the pillars down. My first time EVER fishing the middle Kenai (except swiftwater for reds) was three years ago!! Lol. Meat fisherman so I know very little about the upper and middle Kenai.

I have sponsored a derby the past two years for kayaks. A dozen to twenty folks. Need more participation. I've won my own derby both years. Not cool. Lol. Talk about narcissistic fishing....run your own derby to win it. Haha. It'll be halibut may 30&31 at whiskey gulch.

Well stay in touch! Spoke with Nick from the boards. Hope to fish with him too.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com
Old 05-13-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
Fishin Phil

Nice report Rudy. Keep them coming.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:23 PM   #16
Kardinal_84
Alaskan Lurker

Oh grey zone, I'm no fly fisherman but through June through August, try some big bright articulated bright red (not washed out) flesh flies. Big bows are keying in on scraps tossed into the river by anglers cleaning the Reds.

Almost guaranteed to catch a big bow if you can find a section of river accessible by bank anglers fishing Reds and target the bows below where people are cleaning their fish.

When bait is legal, people hammer the big ones on shrimp. You never hear about it because if someone says they do it, they get BLASTED by the purists. But the flies seem to work pretty dang well.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
Guidesak.blogspot.com