Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

My day off work...

Short version: Windy from the get-go with occasional strong gusts out of the South, signifigant surface texture that got worse as the morning progressed, rolled over conditions, cold/green water (low sixties) and no fish caught from what I heard.

Long version: Quit deciding when to fish based on local reports and reading all the boards while at work. The conditons might not be perfect, the water temp dropped again, it's been windy for months, but I can guarantee you'll never catch a fish from your computer. I've compromised with the local PB'r mafia by only posting once a month, and I haven't seen too many reports otherwise. Let's just say nothings changed, the same guys who catch fish are catching fish.

In an effort to improve the flavor of your fresh brewed coffee... I've included a true story about my life to distract you from asking me questions about rigging, location, and specifics on how I caught this fish .

Even though it's been years since I was wrapped up in the mortgage boom, I remember working fifteen hour days and praying for the weekend quite well. Looking married couples in the eye and saying "we specialize in pre-payment penalties" (i.e. we simply roll it back into your new loan ) was the toughest part of my job. The message of "if I didn't do it someone else would" was quite clear from my boss, sadly that made sense at the time. I would just count down the days, buying new gear on my lunch hour, sharpening hooks and getting ready for the weekend. Even in my monetary prime all I could think about was getting on that overnight boat and waking up to the sound of turbo-diesels, that high pitched wheez always calmed my nerves. I remember having thoughts that I would rather be a deckhand looking for kelps than continue picking up big checks, fortunetely for me the bubble popped before my job killed me.

Even though I've taken a drastic pay cut over the years, I'm proud of my work and I couldn't be happier. The good news is I still look forward to my days off, buy gear for fun and enjoy sharpening hooks before a trip. Only now I don't have to worry about if the overnight captain finds the fish or getting sawed off by some dude who can't follow his fish.

All Yellowtail are strong, but some of them just flat out kick your ass.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
AndSan
Rookie, not wookie

dude! nice catch.... along with your 4 billion other trophies haha. awesome job
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Smokey
Junior

Beautiful fish, looking forward to getting back on the water.
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Love the use of paragraphs...much easier to read your reports now and understand what you are saying...

Just joshin' with ya, nice catch...as usual...looks like it laid down nicely...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
bigbarrels

nice one Josh.....went out this evening for a nice paddle while burning a sick day...beat work for sure...water was 63 on FF and green
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Pescado
Junior

Thumbs up

Congrats Josh as it's good karma. Thank you again for the ride home from the MLPA meeting the other week.
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
j mo

hey thats my fish.....????

What'd you catch her on
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Dennis

INSANE! Nice work Josh!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice one bro!! And the pb'er mafia??....isn't it nice to know that if you surfed the cliffs not only do you own Newbs but also all of LJ
Old 07-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
WahooUSMA

Damn bro, nice fish....One of these day's I am going to cash in on my second day of fishing with you....but first, I need to buy another kayak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Short version: Windy from the get-go with occasional strong gusts out of the South, signifigant surface texture that got worse as the morning progressed, rolled over conditions, cold/green water (low sixties) and no fish caught from what I heard.

Long version: Quit deciding when to fish based on local reports and reading all the boards while at work. The conditons might not be perfect, the water temp dropped again, it's been windy for months, but I can guarantee you'll never catch a fish from your computer. I've compromised with the local PB'r mafia by only posting once a month, and I haven't seen too many reports otherwise. Let's just say nothings changed, the same guys who catch fish are catching fish.

In an effort to improve the flavor of your fresh brewed coffee... I've included a true story about my life to distract you from asking me questions about rigging, location, and specifics on how I caught this fish :dontknow:.

Even though it's been years since I was wrapped up in the mortgage boom, I remember working fifteen hour days and praying for the weekend quite well. Looking married couples in the eye and saying "we specialize in pre-payment penalties" (i.e. we simply roll it back into your new loan :doh:) was the toughest part of my job. The message of "if I didn't do it someone else would" was quite clear from my boss, sadly that made sense at the time. I would just count down the days, buying new gear on my lunch hour, sharpening hooks and getting ready for the weekend. Even in my monetary prime all I could think about was getting on that overnight boat and waking up to the sound of turbo-diesels, that high pitched wheez always calmed my nerves. I remember having thoughts that I would rather be a deckhand looking for kelps than continue picking up big checks, fortunetely for me the bubble popped before my job killed me.

Even though I've taken a drastic pay cut over the years, I'm proud of my work and I couldn't be happier. The good news is I still look forward to my days off, buy gear for fun and enjoy sharpening hooks before a trip. Only now I don't have to worry about if the overnight captain finds the fish or getting sawed off by some dude who can't follow his fish.

All Yellowtail are strong, but some of them just flat out kick your ass.
WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
ratdog

Does that mean we have to wait another month before you'll post again
Very nice YT Josh.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
driftwood

Yes you did take a drastic pay cut Josh. But you gotta love your new every day La Jolla oceanfront office window!!

Last edited by driftwood; 07-08-2009 at 01:56 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
blitzburgh

Wowww!
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
Adam12

Adam12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #15
fishpatrol
Junior

nice fish
fishpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #16
fishinkid2010

Beautiful yellow !... it sure has a big tail. I bet it fought hard
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #17
dorado50

A difficult time in which to catch a yt indeed! (bad water,bad tides, bad current, bad moon,etc..) Thats what amazes me!!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
bellcon

I could say fish of a lifetime...
rrrrright, (maybe for most guys)

I could say something about the jealous tools that always seem to chime in when you post a bitchen fish (but wait it hasn't happened on this post)

So after so many incredible fish
under so many different conditions
what the heck is there left to say?

Congrats?
Way to Go?
Keep up the good work?
You should start a guide service?
Thanks for sharing?

Wait
I got it!
I know how much taking a good photo means to you Josh
so here's my comment:

Thats about the best damn on the water shot of a Yellowtail I have ever seen!!!

The colors, no bend to the fish, the fish eye, no clutter, you almost look like you arn't even straining, almost can't see the clip, fish looks like it's floating in mid air....(I won't deduct points for being able to see the 4 fingers on your left hand, but don't let it happen again)

You know on second thought...
that fish almost looks too alive...
Makes me wonder if he might be a pet of yours,
Like you just whistle and it comes and jumps up in your arms...
Almost looks like he is saying:

"I hate when Josh does this to me, but it sure beats a sharp hook anyday, can I have my treat now Josh?"

Here's to you Josh The Fish Whisperer
and another for your well behaved little yellow friend
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #19
punchjamesarnol

You're my HERO . I wish I could get out there more often. NICE catch!
punchjamesarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:52 PM   #20
yakrider

OK...
that's a good one...
WORK SUCKS!!!!!
I gotta get down there!!!!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote