Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Royak

LJ Shores: Weird Plane and Fast Fed Boats

Another beautiful day off La Jolla Shores. No catchin' for me, but the conditions could not be nicer. I finally got some info on the weird airplane that's been circling the offshore area for the past three days. For those interested, check out:

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stori...15plane/?metro
and
http://www.fugroairborne.com/service/megatem.php

Also of interest this morning were the two, high-powered U.S. Customs & Border Protection boats SCREAMING through the area, heading North toward (it appeared) the Torrey Pines/Blacks Beach area. Anyone count the outboards? Looked like there were four or five on each one. Impressive!

Now, if I could only catch a fish....
Royak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:21 PM   #2
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

very impressive indeed... I'm sure that kind of power comes in handy when trying to chase down illegals crossing into the states in beat up old boats running on gasoline from mexico.

Shure would be fun to test drive though, seeing as we helped pay for those toys...

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
esdees
The Good Clone

First the helicopter in the dark going from boat to boat, then the overpowered US CBP boat (I counted three outboards) pulled up to one of the fishing boats, but there didn't seem to be a problem. Then the weird plane you mentioned, then a big cargo plane, then two fighter jets, then four. There was a lot going on today. I caught a mackerel - it was pretty big, but I still let it go.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
DESTROYER

I saw the same thing. Looked like they were looking for drug runners or illeagles. Later it kind of looked like a boat was beached down at Blacks. It was slow on the right kind for me, but i lit up the Whitefish and Also got about a 3-4# Sheepshead.
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Pescado
Junior

Was out there as well that day. Didn't catch nothing but was awed by the flat calm waters & migrating grey whales. Those high-powered speed boats were Homeland Security boats. 4-425 hp outboard Mercs.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1285/...3477dd.jpg?v=0
and
http://www.globalobjects.net/images/Thats_a_Boat.JPG
Pescado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Billy V

Yes, it was a Homeland Security boat. It went flying past us (inside of us) and headed towards Blacks.

There was also a Cobra Gunship, and that Electro Magnetic Plane that has been scaring off (ALL THE YELLOWTAIL).

Its magnetic powers are dragging the fish back down to Baja.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
scortch
Junior

They moor those things down at MCRD. They have 4 225HP Mercury OB's. They carry 350 gallons of fuel.

You see them moored to the fuel docks quite often also!!
scortch is offline   Reply With Quote