Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
fishsouthcounty

Rockfish

Ok so i have never really done any boat rockfishing. While i was living in Monterey i did lots of shore fishing for rockfish around Pacific Grove, Carmel, and Big Sur. I have not been on a boat for rockfish since i fished in ensenada when i was maybe 10 years old. While i was on Bloodydecks yesterday i saw that they are sponsoring a 3/4 day rockfish opener out of Dana Wharf on the Sum Fun. Goodie bags and giveaways i figured i might as well give the rockfish a shot. Anyway, I'm looking for any help i can get in regards to what kind of gear to use....I have the rods and reels figured out but as far as rigging goes im pretty much clueless...i mean i figure at the least a double dropper loop with a torpedo and whatever sized hooks with squid. I know ive seen the prerigged cod rigs with the flies or whatever. Ive also seen people using irons/other jigs as their weight on the bottom and then a dropper loop above?

Just lookin for what works for you guys out there to bring home some good taco meat. Not sure what Dana has within 3/4 range for deeper water rockfish but any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone cares to join its a 3/4 on the Sum Fun out of Dana Wharf on Thursday next week. 59 bucks and its from 7-4 with the sponsorship of bloodydecks so there should be some cool stuff getting handed out. Let me know. I booked today and there i made the 13 and 14 of the limited load of 25.

Thanks again for any and all help.
fishsouthcounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Sounds like fun. Im getting ready for rockfish too but after the cash I put into my yak recently and the vacation I just paid for I wont be on any charters for a little bit. I know jigging shimano lucanus really does well. Find structure, drop it to the bottom and jig with a good fast action setup. For bait, cut squid works well and chovies off a dropper loop as well. Good luck on the fish tacos!

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #3
salty pirate

40-50 lb mono make sure you have 250-300ft on you don't want to get into braid, it makes a mess. double dropper loop #2-3 hooks 10-16oz torpedo. dean's and or squid. bigger macs seem to catch more lings.

good luck
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Rock fishing is fun

Here's what I recommend. Load up with 65# Braid as your main line, get yourself some Carolina Keepers(Clear or Red doesn't matter), small swivels, 20# fluorocarbon leader(seagar), 8 to 10# mono, 3 to 4 Oz. torpedo sinkers, and some circle hooks.

If you are fishing deep water you want the braid so that you can feel the hits better. Here's the setup:
put your small swivel on the braid followed by the carolina keeper, and splice your leader to the braid(albright knot or double Uni works well here) Slide the keeper down to sit above the knot you created. The keeper protects the knot and it keeps the swivel above the leader. You want your leader to be 18" to 24". For the hook knot I like to do a double overhand knot of surgeons knot, it leaves a loop at the hook and lets the hook move easy. It also helps to keep the knot out of the mouth of the toothy fish. To the swivel attatch about a 10" line to tie your sinker to. Here's the idea. Your sinker will set on the bottom, make sure it stays there. If the sinker gets snagged on the rocks, that mono is going to break easier then the braid. This helps when bring up fish also. Now, with circle hooks the fish hooks themselves. When you feel the rod load up just start reeling and the hook will do its job and hook in the corner of the mouth.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
ctfphoto

Only 4 more days until fish tacos, yummy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
fishsouthcounty

Thanks for the info guys...pretty much what i figured. I think ill probably stick to the Double Dropper with 6/0 circles and squid or deans. Dont wanna throw money into jigs that might get lost at a cost. Rather loose a 4 dollar weight then a 12 dollar jig. Did pick up a pack of the big berkeley gulp curly tailed jigs in pink and white to throw on some heads and give a go. Also purchased a little cod rig that they custom make and package at Hogan's bait and tackle in Dana Point to give a shot. Also purchased some 12 and 16 torpedos. 2 of each. I also had a couple of each at home as well as some 6-10 oz torpedos.

Also, since most of my rigs will be fished with spectra....one with 65 spectra, one with 50, and may bring one that has 40. I also have another rig that has maybe 100 yards of 80 spectra with another 150 or so of 40 mono topshot. In regards to the 3 rigs that have straight spectra would you suggest i tie my leaders directly to the braid so there is as little of mono/fluoro possible? If so, should i connect the lines directly or would it be ok to attach a swivel to the braid so i would have an easier time rerigging when a snag or break happens?

Or putting like a 15 yard topshot so i can just retire 2 dropper loops real quick without having to make a new connection between the leader and the braid?

Thanks again....when i booked yesterday for me and my buddy they only had booked 14 of the limited load 25.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Cool article on BD , this should answer some of your questions

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/rockfish-bottom-rigs/
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
fishsouthcounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttchaser View Post
Cool article on BD , this should answer some of your questions

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/article/rockfish-bottom-rigs/

Right on, good reads on there. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

for sculpin i use dropper loop with big curly grubs or scampis. (i've love many lucanus jigs and cant afford it anymore)

for rockfish i use a lighter jigging iron. ironman II is fine.

for cabezon, i fish close to kelp and structure with a weedless war bait jig head and a 5" BH with squid pinned on it

cant wait for rockfishing to open up!!!!