Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

The Daily Double...

Ahhhh, the memories of fishing the daily double. I used to love taking the local half day trips. More fishing, less driving, and who could complain about the price? Most sportfishing fleets extend that incredible half-day value with the offer of a turnaround trip. For those who aren't aware, a turnaround is when you come back from the morning half-day and hop right back on the afternoon boat...a.k.a. turnaround. I haven't done this in years, but last time I checked they offer half price on the second trip. If you think about it, that's having the opportunity to fish nearly all damn day for $50. A top notch local captain, with the best electronics available and a ridiculous bait supply. Did I mention they even have deckhands tossing Sardines to draw the school to the boat? What a bargain!

On Sunday I had plans to do nothing more than relax. Sadly, finding the time to just sit and relax is far and few between for most of us. Often times, it's quite the challenge really. I had all my honeydews taken care of by Saturday and my only goal for Sunday: to sleep in. Rest my tired old bones...then go fishing, of course. And a plan was born, complete with a partner carrying a cooler of ice-cold, relaxation in a can.

With the alarm turned off for the first time in two weeks I woke with the bright sun poking through the blinds. I checked the clock and realized I'd slept for nearly twelve hours. Wow, I feel great! It's amazing how good you feel after a good nights rest. After nearly pushing my body to a dangerous level of fatigue, I felt like a new man.

I made it to the launch and saw the Summer circus in full swing...huge crowds and no parking in sight! I get it, it's a hot, beautiful day in Southern California and I don't own the beach. Not that big of a deal, but with the mess at the launch, too...almost enough to make someone pull their hair out! Thank goodness for wheels. And after getting caught with my pants down on Friday, I brought the full kayak set-up: a five rod quiver complete with not one, but two jig-sticks. I passed quite a few anglers on my way out and just kept a leisurely pace. After all, it's eighty degrees with no wind and I'm wearing waders.

I told myself I'd spend the first few hours leisurely making bait and scouting for Yellowtail in the process. Bait was scarce in the hot spot of the days prior so I had a long, look around. I found no life in the distant grounds so I returned to the zone from Friday. After a while I finally found some bait and started loading the tank. After all, a Yellowtail would be a bonus today as my real plans were focused on a big Croaker. Just like days prior bait was a challenge, but an hour later those bait schools I had been babysitting...came alive!

An opportunity presents itself and I make a cast with the Calstar 100J. Yes, this rod is a giant noodle, but for schoolies and light-irons (thanks Mike!)...it works.

Tight drag sleigh-ride, to arm breaking bendo!...the good kind of pain .

I had already made the decision to release a Yellowtail before I launched. I find it easier to make these decisions before the adrenalin is pumping. Again, do as you wish, no preaching here, but dude...don't talk crap on catch and release until you try it! It's so sick watching a fish kick away! There's just no better feeling in big game fishing if you asked me.

Might as well be a Ferrari with scales. Pound for pound, the strongest fish in the ocean.
This fish was the epitome of health and as strong as they come. I instantly removed the hook he didn't move a muscle while smiling for the camera.

Granted, it was melting hot out there and I definitely broke a sweat on the noodle. A shower was my parting gift as he bolted to the depths.

A friend pedaled up with a celebratory beer and I couldn't have thought of a better time. All things in moderation, but man, there certainly is a time and place for a nice cold beer. This being one of them. With the pressure off, I leisurely cruised around looking for an encore, but never really got relocated.

I switched plans and started reading the conditions for a spot to spend the rest of the afternoon. What better encore than a big Croaker, right? I've often found when you take the pressure off with a fish early, good things happen. And Sunday was no different.

My days of riding the daily-double are long gone. I still love to fish, though!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
IntrntFshrman

Wow, great pics Josh! (Is that my iron your alluding to? The white and blue? I'm sure it's in much better hands with you!!!)

I got a prescription for Scopace (is that the one? you'd mentioned something starting with 'M' but all the guys here were swearing on that one) so I'm looking forward to our next encounter without the nausea...

Great looking fish, man (both!)

Mike
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

Nice ones!!!, I bet that WSB was a handful in that shallow water!

BTW, is that your brother on the skiff in the background, or does he just follow you everywhere?
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
Useful Idiot

Nice day on the water by anybody's standards!

LOVE my 100J, those pics are awesome.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
T Bone

thats awesome.I will be fishing PM next week.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
yakrider

all I have to say is....
WORK SUCKS!
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
j mo

not a bad day at the office Josh.....
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 PM   #8
bellcon

man I envy you Josh,

very nice
Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
Dan

SLAYED IT! great work.

Sunday was the perfect day to be on the water.

Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
GregAndrew

All I can say is I'll have what he is having!!(Purdy please with sugar on top).
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM   #11
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Yikes ! On the long rod... Killer.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Billy V

Nice C&R fish.

I see my skiff over the dorsal fin.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #13
JoeBeck

What a great read while taking a few minutes to relax here at work
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:55 PM   #14
old_rookie

Funny, a few work buddies and I are planning a trip on the Daily Double in a few weeks.
Yeah, that is a nice fish - looks good.

Last edited by old_rookie; 04-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
lamb

nice fish Josh
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Gigafish

The colors on that are shining bright.
Gigafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #17
T Bone

whats cool here is when I posted I will be fishing PM next week,thats when I caught my avatar C-bass.Josh being the photographer(he if memory serves he had 2 big YT for the day)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #18
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Awsome read Josh. Really like the C&R, someday I hope to be proficient enough C&R YT's too.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
taggermike

Thanks for the inspirational post. What stick is that 100J, Seeker Ulua? I've C&R-ed some YT over the years and it is a good feeling. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #20
Tinhman
"ZzZZzzzzzzzzz!"

Send a message via AIM to Tinhman
Looks like bwe website still works havent been on here for months. Great catch as always big man...Need a buddy to go with soon anybody, let me know!