Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
FISH11

Tuna, not a kayak related post.

Hi guys, just tired that there have been no new post of quality fish. I know some have been caught, but really things have been Super Slow... I got to go on a private work all payed trip for tuna yesterday on the San Diego. With the weather changes the trip was moved ahead by a week. The Santa Ana weather made for a beautiful day with increasing winds, but beautiful. Captain Ryan and the crew did all they could to put us on fish and the boat covered over 130 miles looking at every kelp paddle we could find. They found plenty on areas with Yellowfin and Bluefin Tunas, but they just weren't interested in playing. We had multiple stops were the tuna were boiling or under the boat. Tried live bait and flat falls, they had jigs trolling the rest of the time, but the catch was unbelievably small for the 24 of us from work. Tons of room on a boat made for many more. To make the story shorter. I won the jackpot for largest fish. Sweet, first time that's ever happened. The bad is that I had the only Yellowfin caught and one rat Yellow Tail. We caught those in our first Kelp Paddy stop on the way out. The Yellowfin was my first ever tuna and wished we had caught many more. I was lucky in representing the kayak fishing background community in that there was many on board that have extensive tuna fishing experience. Anyway, here is a picture, just to keep us focused that there still fish out there. We just have to keep trying and it will happen. Hopefully the next post is of a local Yellow Tail on the Kayak.
Attached Images

Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #2
Aaron&Julie

Too bad it didn't work out better for you and your co-workers. What is in that rack on the bait tank in that last photo?
It actually looked a little clearer in the top photo, but I'm still not sure what it is...
Old 09-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
FISH11

It was just before they filet the fish for us, on the top, it's their stuff in a milk crate. The bottom picture is when they were bagging the filets and cleaning up.
Old 09-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
stevie951
Lurker

Thanks for sharing and cheers for passing along those positive vibes!

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM   #5
Raskal311

I was also on a company-sponsored overnighter last weekend and we didn't hear any better. We ended up with 6 Yellowfin for about thirty passengers. I was one of the lucky ones to land a fish.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
FISH11

Just had some Yellowfin Tuna for dinner. Just cooked it like I do most of my Yellow Tail. Cooked in a hot pan with some extra virgin olive oil, Italian spices, black pepper and some California garlic salt. 2 1/2 to 3 minutes per side for a 2" thick piece. God, It was divine, of course with some green salad and a Ballast point Grapefruit Sculpin. I think it was even better than the Yellow Tail that I love. Might have to cook some more tomorrow.