Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #1
philr21

Hobie Outback question

Buddy of mine gave me an old Hobie Mirage Outback. It has the old style rudder, not the stow and go.

This is apparantly the old hull style, pre-2007. One thing I noticed is it seems much tippier than my X-Factor. I'm a big guy, 6'5 and 235.

Should I be concerned with the tippiness? How much did the newer hull design change the Outback's stability?

Used it once, broke the rudder. Got a very cool fish from it though, a Biwa Trout, only native to lake Biwa in Japan and it's tributaries. Not a rainbow- knock off, an actual type of trout that spends almost its entire deep.

I included some pics of the Biwa trip so you can see the kayak. Want to fix this thing up and use it since it was a gift, just curious how much of a difference there is in the newer hull style and if I should be concerned about stability.

Thanks.

Phil

Last edited by philr21; 04-15-2013 at 04:56 AM.
philr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:52 AM   #2
philr21

The pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2035.jpg (86.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2042.jpg (58.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg 81.jpg (48.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2028.jpg (32.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1726.jpg (34.5 KB, 213 views)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
roadx

my brother has the old hobie outback and it has less primary stabilization but has more secondary stabilizability.
the newer haul design and layout seems better to me but the old outback is still usable. the difference in the two are very noticeable.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
spottie slayer

with exception of the pro angler hobie kayaks arent that stable when compared to a malibu. i wouldn't try and stand up in a outback but i do in a malibu. and the new outback is slightly more stable but not by much.

cuda 14 ftw
spottie slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
JeffB

I've never been on the old one, but the newer ones are very stable. I have used my buddy's many of times and fell in love with it. I sold my revo in hopes of buying one a while back. It was faster than my revo and I could stand up in it all day. You do sit up a little higher in the outback though. That might be why if feels the way it does. I had to get use to it.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
taggermike

You can't knock a free hobie, but there's no way an outback will be as stable as an x-factor. Maybe a few more trips in the hobie will help get you use to it. Like roadx said, the outback has good secondary stability so it will feel a bit wobbly but will reach a point where it fghts tipping further. I dont know what the temp of Lake Biwa is right now, but take the kayak out to waist deep water with out any gear and lean until you flip over. Seriouosly, learning the breakpoint of the secondary stability will give you confidence. And like the old comercial said, "no surprise is the best surprise". Nice trout and a beautifull ake too. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
You can't knock a free hobie
I agree....there's nothing like $$FREE.99

I think the issue isn't with the Hobie itself, its just that you're used to being on something else. Take it out a few times, if you're not happy with it sell it and get something that you like.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
philr21

Thanks guys, great info! I had no idea about the secondary stability.

Love the ability to be able to kick. Once I get the new rudder, new lines installed for rudder, and new bungies done, fish finder installed, look out fish!

The Hobie handles, do you take apart the handle to install or do you have to unrivet the padeye and re-rivit to install?
Old 04-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philr21 View Post
Thanks guys, great info! I had no idea about the secondary stability.

Love the ability to be able to kick. Once I get the new rudder, new lines installed for rudder, and new bungies done, fish finder installed, look out fish!

The Hobie handles, do you take apart the handle to install or do you have to unrivet the padeye and re-rivit to install?
The padeyes where the handle goes on are not rivetted on. They're metal and use phil screws. Looks like you're missing a paddle too. Might be the reason you have a broken rudder in the first place if you're pedaling on all your launches and landings.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
philr21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
The padeyes where the handle goes on are not rivetted on. They're metal and use phil screws. Looks like you're missing a paddle too. Might be the reason you have a broken rudder in the first place if you're pedaling on all your launches and landings.
Don't know why I didn't notice that? Thanks for the info.

Broke the rudder as the lines to raise and lower don't work right and need to be redone (have all new to install). Turned the kayak to launch and rudder got stuck in between two rocks. Didn't even know it was stuck till after it broke.

Duck tape in the truck saved the day... was able to tape it together and keep fishing.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #11
Jfish36

Very hard to tip it over

Philr21 I have the older model outback to. I putted my outback in my swimming pool and was trying very hard trying to tip it over but it was very hard. I was able to stand on the yak, sit sideway with both legs in the water, and learn how to get back into the yak with upside down. Like triggerman said put your yak in the water and try to tip it over so you can learn to far you can push the limit. Hope that help
Jfish36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
philr21

Thanks. I did the same, took the Malibu X-Factor to shallow water. Only when I sit on the side did it start to roll over.

Haven't had a chance to do same with the Hobie. Thanks all for the info, really helps.