Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2005, 02:49 PM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

9-16 Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

The YT have seemed for the most part waiting for the sun to be high in the sky before they are brunching, so I decided to try my hand up north with the flat ones, had to dust off the meter for this trip. Launched at the first hint of light, just after Jim and his client. Just before the pier, macs were smacking. Put a few in the tank before heading to the north side. Put a few more in the tank and pulled up a nice big sardine. I put that out on a trap rig with a 2 oz slider on 25# Maxima. I have been hearing 40 feet is where ya want to be lately. I paddled out to 40 feet and saw good bait marks. dropped it down, put out a flyline greenback for any roving YT and chucked the iron, hoping for a blind strike. Not long and I felt a bump on the bottom rig. Looking at the rod tip, it had a little bend. I wound a little line and as the line came tighter anothor bump and it got heavy. Wound the fish on and it started up, just shaking it's head from side to side all the way up. I had set a really light drag, I would guess about 4 pounds, just as I got color the fish turned and headed back down. Got it under me again and it flared its gills and spit the sardine as it thrashed side to side. I swung the gaff and missed and it ran down a little. Back near the top I stuck the gaff and stuffed my hand in the gills, with a "go ahead!" death grip. Fish never went ballistic, just bucked a little as I tied a line. I swung it on deck and it bucked my open drybag into the water. Luckily I double drybag my camera and phone and nothing fell out. Jim came over and took an on the spot pic. Thanks Jim, great shot! Only 7:00, I was not ready to head in. Had a tastey sea-gar and hearing the YT action, decided to paddle a loop out to the point and in. Met up with Dennis and got some more pics, Thanks Dennis! Ya can't have too many pics of your biggest 'but. We timed dry landings in the building surf. On the beach it pegged a 30# boga, so I was stoked. What's it weigh? You tell me.

Attached Images

Last edited by Iceman; 01-24-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote