Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Aces Up My Sleeve

Ahhh! Is it the beginning of a new year already? It honestly feels that way when it is this cold at night. It makes me want to stay under the covers and look forward to summer that much more. When it is decided to get up and bear the cold, a lot of late winter days are spent with blue water staring right back at you. Though from time to time, the heavens decide to part and grace kayak anglers a taste of what the afterlife just might be like. Even in January!

Well Saturday, heaven came within a bit of a closer reach when a couple of yellow eyed angels sang sweet drag ripin’ melodies to me. To all those who have gotten to experience such harmonious music you understand that there is nothing locally that sounds as rad. No matter how many times I hear it, that sound never gets old.

On most days unaccompanied and in the pursuit of yellows, I leave the sabiki high and dry. Saturday was one of those days. Call me crazy! That’s fine, I call myself an “Iron Nut”. I get the greatest satisfaction when one of my artificial lookalikes gets the paint worn off of it. These two wanted to bend my jig in half when they struck, so I gladly rewarded them with a hook stuck in their jaw. Sorry no hard feelings ladies.

Even after Monday’s awesome beat down by the weather, I still assume many brethren will brave the harshness of SoCal (sarcasm, btw it’s 6 degrees in Michigan). The wind was unbearable, with swells that were peaking at 6 ft. Unfortunately the fish became demons today with such hellish weather. Nonetheless, there will be some better days.

So here comes the inevitable, conclusive rant that everyone should be aware of by now. After the craziness of last year, and moving into this year it seems hard to believe that anglers have any breathing room at all. It was hard enough to see California limit our access, but now access to inshore fishing Mexico requires Visas. I mean maybe I won’t be able to take a piss of my yak unless I have some kind of special permit. Who knows anymore? The bottom line is that for all of us who call fishing a sport, the restrictions will probably only get worse throughout the rest of our lives. Keep catching fish while we can!

The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote