Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
sdfisher

need some kayak help

got home from the moyer tourney yesterday and the middle section of the hull of my kayak was bent in. I had never put it on the vehicle i was using prior to this so something was not done right.

not quite sure how to repair this, was thinking of trying to get my arm far enough inside and possibly bang it out with a mallet, any suggestions on how to fix this?

thanks
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Have not tried it myself, but have read about guys using hot water to reshape dented hulls. Don't know if that would apply to your situation or not either. You might want to share your type of kayak so folks know what you are dealing with. Is the problem that you have little access to the dent or that you think the dent is semi-permanent now?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
deepdvr

You have a Hobie? Try flipping the kayak upside down on your lawn and leaving it out for the day under the sun to heat up. That deformation should disappear.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
sdfisher

thanks guys for the ideas

it is a prowler 15, but the older version not the trident, gonna see if putting it in the sun and then trying to work it back into form will do the trick
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
jorluivil

Jam a piece of wood on the inside and leave it in overnight, should go back to its original place. I tried it a few months ago and it worked great. I heard a hot towel works but I never tried this method.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I would try using the brace and sitting the kayak in the sun. It should work. The problem probably occurred as your kayak was sitting on a on your vehicle in the sun with most of the weight supported in one spot. (Maybe at the BBQ) As the plastic got soft, the place that carried the weight became dented. This material as a very good memory. Reheating without the pressure should do the trick.

The deck of most kayaks is much stronger than the hull. It is the spine of the boat. If you have to transport or store a kayak in the sun, flipping it upside down so the weight is supported by the deck will minimize this kind of problem.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #7
old_rookie

When I bought mine from OEX Rik told me to put it upside down in the sun if the hull gets deformed.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
sdfisher

thanks for all the advice fellas, I put it out in the sun and it did the trick!