Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-01-2017, 03:16 PM   #741
filippo

The Sabiki Sleeve

This idea hit me after been hooked by a Rapala lure/hook (not fun) and hearing about my buddy's having a Sabiki hook up his butt the week prior. So here it is!

No more Sabiki hooks flying around with the Sabiki Sleeve. "Installation" took 10 seconds. That is cutting the pool noodle with a knife. When you're done with your Sabiki, just wrap it around the pool noodle making sure each hook is secured into the foam, and store it in this container. It also fits a sinker weight and small iron jig if anyone's using one at the Sabiki's end (I do, as it goes down faster and the iron jig flashes catching bait's attention). Close the lid and you're ready to go. The rubber ends are flexible, so if you wish, you can add a small ball bungee cord on the bottom's end and secure your Sabiki Sleeve anywhere you like while launching/landing.

Total cost: $6.

$5 for the plastic holder (found at any local Home Depot stores; NOT found on their website for some odd reasons). Called "Viewtainer Slit Top Storage Container 2.75"X5".

And $1 for the pool noodle (Walmart). Look outside in the garden section.

Last edited by filippo; 07-01-2017 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Edit
filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #742
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like it Filippo. I've tried wrapping my sabiki around several different things, but nothing as neat at that. Thanks!

BTW, I use a small blue & white iron as the weight at the end of my sabiki, and I've caught several fish on the iron, so it does more than attract attention. I caught a jack smelt, corvina, bonito and several mackerals.

The hole in the noodle is perfect for that.

I'll take two!
Old 07-01-2017, 05:33 PM   #743
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Simply brilliant! Where do you get your industrial strength sabiki flies?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #744
filippo

Thanks guys!

Mr. NiceGuy - I believe you. Once a mac ate my sinker weight and it passed through his gills. It was pretty funny. I guess we really don't need hooks. Anything shining works.

Bob - I buy the Mustad Sabiki Bait Rig, SBM-30, from Walmart. Used the same rig about 5 times and still going strong.

filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 11:38 PM   #745
JayDee
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modigity View Post
Made a bait tank out of a Marine Cooler and copied the workings of the hobie bait tank using the scuppers for water intake and drain. I chose this cooler since it fits snug in the back of the Pro Angler and already had knotches I can put the bungie cords. I also rigged a stadium seat to the back and works perfect for passengers.

Where did you get your stadium seat? mind sharing the link to buy and any tip on installing it? Picking up my new PA14 here shortly and would love to take my daughter out in the bay with me.

Thanks!
JayDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #746
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDee View Post
Where did you get your stadium seat? mind sharing the link to buy and any tip on installing it? Picking up my new PA14 here shortly and would love to take my daughter out in the bay with me.

Thanks!
Costco has offered nice quality stadium seats for the past couple of years for around $14. What you do with it depends on your own creativity and mechanical skills.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 07-25-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 AM   #747
PescadorPete

[/QUOTE]

Nice idea!

A little piece of hypalon will also work and takes up less space.

PescadorPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #748
jrip
Water dog

Anyone picking up tar on the boats?
I use Goof off spray and it literally melts off.
Re: sabiki thread ; I just found the noodles very helpful.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
jrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #749
KayakDoctor
Kayakdoctor

Hey Dgax65. I'm new to this forum. Had to say how nice your wiring is. Clean and waterproof. Looks like you are using heat shrinked butt connectors too. Nicely done.
KayakDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #750
PapaDave

Me Like

Good idea, gonna make a couple this week.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #751
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Game Bag Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkdavis View Post
I can't pry my wallet open to buy a game bag so have been thinking of alternatives. I plan on making one out of the insulating bubble wrap, the kind with the aluminum foil coating. A 2' x 25' roll is only $17 on Amazon. That and a little duct tape will make at least 3 bags, and I figure they could be used at least a few times each before they fall apart. At the rate I catch big fish I should be able to give two bags to my kids in my will.
Funny, I did the same thing and it works great and is as light as a game bag gets.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:38 PM   #752
Wyota

Another year on doing well

Well, despite being doomed to corrosive failure, the box is still going strong. Replaced a fuse once after letting her sit a while but the o-ringed covers on switches, goop on case rubber switch covers faul, and liberAL use of dialectric grease on the buss inside has kept her looking new. Run lights fishfinder, bait tank and marine radio off it all day with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyota View Post
Well, based on your advice, I gooped the poop out of the switches (not so pretty now), and I decided to use a liberal amount of dielectric grease on the box seal. Took it out, and while it didn't get a full dunking, it got pretty wet. Appears to be no moisture whatsoever inside the box. Gotta give it a few more days to check for any moisture or corrosion, but appearts to be holding up pretty well. After use, have decided to mount the ff to the top of the box (assuming it passes the longer term corrosion test).

Goop is great!!!!!

Update: 16 days later and nary a bit of moisture or corrosion. I'll keep inspection, grease and regoop as needed as a critical pre op check and it should be fine. Now to build out the light rig.
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:28 AM   #753
fisheyechannel
El Pescador

Cold Steel Boat Bat - Made for Kayak Fishing

I started out using the Cold Steel Brooklyn Shorty after testing it with the guys at Cold Steel, and it worked great, however I gave the guys at Cold Steel some feedback and they took my feedback and came out with the Boat Bat. High Visibility Orange and a hole for a leash, not that its necessary since it floats, but so does my radio and I still managed to lose that at Montana De Oro.

Fishing & Filming!
fisheyechannel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 11:04 AM   #754
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Costco has offered nice quality stadium seats for the past couple of years for around $14. What you do with it depends on your own creativity and mechanical skills.
Saw the stadium seats at Fullerton Costco yesterday. They didn’t have a ton, but other Costco’s should have them too. They are seasonal so grab one if you are considering it

FWIW, they are awesome on bleachers, which is what they are made for. My bony butt on metal stands can only take so much, but a weekend-long waterpolo tournament is comfortable.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:06 AM   #755
chinaevacase
Junior

We custom design and produce foam Kayak seat pad, foam Kayak seat cushion, kayak back band, Low MOQ and factory price! http://www.evacase.net
http://www.gogglecase.com
http://www.goprocase.net
http://www.watchcases.net
chinaevacase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:12 AM   #756
chinaevacase
Junior

i got an Orvis Lightweight EVA Foam Fly Box cases with foam insert magnetic button closure

chinaevacase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #757
Maineguy
Junior

Hobie Revo Stability Mod

I built this mod from foam and carbon fiber to improve stability and extend my range on the water a bit. The bait tank pumps, 45lb thrust trolling motor and fish finder run off of 4 CALB 100 AH LI batteries. The open areas on the wing will be home for 200 watts of Sun Power Maxeon solar cells to recharge on the water.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KAYAK11.jpg (65.6 KB, 452 views)
File Type: jpg KAYAK12.jpg (61.5 KB, 443 views)
Maineguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 PM   #758
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

How fast fast can you move in in still water with no current

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 08:24 PM   #759
Ggiannig89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy View Post
I built this mod from foam and carbon fiber to improve stability and extend my range on the water a bit. The bait tank pumps, 45lb thrust trolling motor and fish finder run off of 4 CALB 100 AH LI batteries. The open areas on the wing will be home for 200 watts of Sun Power Maxeon solar cells to recharge on the water.
Bitchen. That’s some next level stuff right there. What’s your Day job? Rocket engineer or something?
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #760
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggiannig89 View Post
Bitchen. That’s some next level stuff right there. What’s your Day job? Rocket engineer or something?
I bet Structures Engineer.

I totally admire the quality of the DIY here, but damn at some point you just gotta go buy a boat, no?

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayak fishing inovations, kayak rigging ideas