Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
bigbarrels

Paddling Hands?

Hobie guys, do your hands/fingers get beat up like this after a day or two on the water?
I paddle a X-13 and each time I go out my hands and fingers completely peel off a layer or two of skin. It takes about a week or two to clear up. It gives me something to do when I'm bored but my wife hates it and some of my patients trip out on them when I go to touch them. Also, I need to grab medications out of a Pyxis system at work that scans my fingerprint and I'm unrecognizable when the fingertip skin peels off for a couple weeks. Not too big of a deal but it slows me down when I have to wait on a nurse to grab me some lidocaine or other meds.

I only ask this question because if this doesn't happen to Hobie guys, it will support my cause in buying a Revo

I'm hoping to tell my wife: 1)this is a paddller's problem. 2) you will have nicer hands to hold 3) no more touching patients with scaly fingers (I actually throw gloves on when this occurs) 4) it will make me more effecient at work.

Thanks in advance
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #2
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
Hobie guys, do your hands/fingers get beat up like this after a day or two on the water?
I paddle a X-13 and each time I go out my hands and fingers completely peel off a layer or two of skin. It takes about a week or two to clear up. It gives me something to do when I'm bored but my wife hates it and some of my patients trip out on them when I go to touch them. Also, I need to grab medications out of a Pyxis system at work that scans my fingerprint and I'm unrecognizable when the fingertip skin peels off for a couple weeks. Not too big of a deal but it slows me down when I have to wait on a nurse to grab me some lidocaine or other meds.

I only ask this question because if this doesn't happen to Hobie guys, it will support my cause in buying a Revo

I'm hoping to tell my wife: 1)this is a paddller's problem. 2) you will have nicer hands to hold 3) no more touching patients with scaly fingers (I actually throw gloves on when this occurs) 4) it will make me more effecient at work.

Thanks in advance

My hands don't look like that!!! Are you using paddling gloves? My hands only get cut if i am setting up a new rig or i get hook on my hand.

These are the ones i use...http://www.rei.com/product/817795
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Jimmyz123

Are you using a paddle that has sandpaper on it? To support your argument you'll only have to worry about your thumb getting burned from a fish pulling line. Other than that I would imagine your hands would be out of danger.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
MVC

Do your hands get wet from the paddle? Time to switch to a Hobie.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

I got a real hobie no mirage drive, and after 8+hours on the water my hands dont look like that. Are you paddling with a oar?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
old_rookie

I bought tennis racket grips and wrapped them around the shaft. That helped the problems I had.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
Kaijuu
"Floater"

hobie hands

I have a Hobie. No, my hands don't look look yours. Your patients would love the feel of my hands.

However; Im not sure the paddling is the cause of your skin issues.

Proper paddling technique is essential, especially if paddling for long periods. Use a relaxed grip, don't choke it. You could be burning the skin off by friction.

Otherwise, see a doctor,
Kaijuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #8
jbaker

when i first got my kayak i realized i was holding the grip way to tight me hands would hurt and it tired me out, if the paddle got wet or my hands got wet I had to grip really hard, so i got some grip tape for a bat i think, maybe $5 at big 5, wrapped the paddle where i grip it and its worked great for a year now. I was thinking about paddling gloves too.
jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

That used to happen to me when I was regularly paddling several days a week. When my hands are subjected to prolonged immersion the top layers of skin slough off. It mostly happens at the points of contact with the paddle shaft. I think some people's skin is just more susceptible to this than others. It made starting up my work laptop a pain in the ass. Sometimes it would lock me out before I could get a good fingerprint read.

As annoying as the the peeling hands was, the chronic monkey-butt was worse. I sure do miss that OK Drifter. Nothing like sitting in a couple of inches of cold seawater for hours on end.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Monkey butt pain in the worse!
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #11
wade

you were being kind! u only showed them your raw pinky skin after you went to town.ive been meaning to make a post like this for months..im not on a Hobie but, i feared i got leprosy from a seal..& my hands rot off worse!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
driftwood

Did that monkey butt pain come with extreme itch? That was my biggest problem! ouch!!!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:40 PM   #13
PapaDave

Can't say if you are paddling properly or not, I don't know, I have a hobie drive kayak.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #14
BT

I get that too, not as bad, but pretty bad. It isnt the paddle, its the water. The worse spots for me are along my nails, and on my palm along my knuckles. Gloves may actually make it worse. One thing I do is keep a rag with me and keep my hands dry as much as possible. Not easy when paddling though.

Sometimes when I get home, I use a product called bag balm or udder cream. It is a heavy cream, and I put cotton gloves on over night. Then I use the cream multiple times over the next day or two and that seems to work.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #15
Pescavore1

keratolysis exfoliativa

It appears we have the same problem. According to my dermatologist, the condition I have is known as keratolysis exfoliativa and occurs from prolonged exposure to water.

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis...ratolysis.html
http://www.dermnet.com/Keratolysis-Exfoliativa.

My hands would swell up after a day of fishing and become raw and sting. Couple of days later, the skin would harden, become numb, and peel off in layers as thick as 5-6 sheets of newspaper. I use to think it was from paddling but the problem did not improve after I switched to a Hobie. I then discovered that it was the constant exposure to water that caused it – from handling bait, constantly putting my hands in the bait well, tying off to kelp, etc. Even when I’m fishing the iron, my hands still get wet.

Over time, my sensitivity to water seems to have gotten worse. There does not appear to be a way to prevent it other than to keep my hands dry. I now wear gloves to minimize exposure to water. I usually go through 2 or 3 pairs of gloves everytime I fish. My dermatologist recently prescribed Salitop Cream which I think is helping but I’m not sure.

In support of your desire to get a Hobie, I will say this: peddling does keep your hands dry.

I also want to make this very clear to everyone reading this: I do not suffer from monkey-buttus exfoliativa.
Pescavore1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescavore1 View Post
It appears we have the same problem. According to my dermatologist, the condition I have is known as keratolysis exfoliativa and occurs from prolonged exposure to water.

http://www.dermnet.org.nz/dermatitis...ratolysis.html
http://www.dermnet.com/Keratolysis-Exfoliativa.

My hands would swell up after a day of fishing and become raw and sting. Couple of days later, the skin would harden, become numb, and peel off in layers as thick as 5-6 sheets of newspaper. I use to think it was from paddling but the problem did not improve after I switched to a Hobie. I then discovered that it was the constant exposure to water that caused it – from handling bait, constantly putting my hands in the bait well, tying off to kelp, etc. Even when I’m fishing the iron, my hands still get wet.

Over time, my sensitivity to water seems to have gotten worse. There does not appear to be a way to prevent it other than to keep my hands dry. I now wear gloves to minimize exposure to water. I usually go through 2 or 3 pairs of gloves everytime I fish. My dermatologist recently prescribed Salitop Cream which I think is helping but I’m not sure.

In support of your desire to get a Hobie, I will say this: peddling does keep your hands dry.

I also want to make this very clear to everyone reading this: I do not suffer from monkey-buttus exfoliativa.

Right on the money! However, I told my wife it is paddler's manus exfoliativa.....only cured by pedaling.........she seems to be buying it and it sure seems better than Monkey Butt

Last edited by bigbarrels; 04-08-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
Billy V

Be careful you're going to get HOBIE HANDS - which is far worse than the pic you posted !

-It comes from catching much more fish.

sorry i couldn't resist.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
LeeQ125
Junior

I am going with water causing your probs-have the same problem with a spot on my feet (sweat), have to change socks a lot-podiatrist said skin has a memory, so it would take a while for skin to stop sloughing off. It worked, but I don't have the pictures to show.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #19
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Don't get you none of that ol' monkey butt. Ya'll be itchin' and scratchin' like crazy.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #20
bigbarrels

Heard this stuff might work. Thankfuly I fish in waders so hopefully will not have the problem if it is from sitting in a pool of water

http://calamitykim.typepad.com/photo...onkey_logo.jpg