Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
itwasbo
Junior

New to Kayaking

Hey guys I live in So Cal, and I am interested in getting into some saltwater kayak fishing. Not sure where to start except for the fact that I know I want a Sit on Top kayak. I am not a rich man and only have a budget of about $500. What do you suggest for a first time kayak fisherman in that price range?
itwasbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
EastLosYaker

Keep a close eye on the "buy, sell, trade" forum. There are always great deals on there. It also gives you an idea of what to look for if you are on craigslist or somewhere else. The yaks being sold on this forum are almost always the type you'd use for saltwater kayak fishing. I use a malibu kayak and I love it. You can definitely spend more and get fancier. If you're starting off though, don't spend too much. Buy used!!!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
itwasbo
Junior

For sure! I definitely want to buy used!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
easyday

Welcome to the addiction. You could also go to OEX and demo some kayaks to find out what you like. The guys at OEX are awesome and will definitely help you out.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
FISH11

Here is a good example. just over the amount you have in the budget, but CJ is a great guy as this would be good. Check it out. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23537
Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
DanaPT

Buy what you can afford.

Just try fishing from a kayak a few times. You might think it sucks after you've Lost your fishing gear, get skunked a few times, be in situations that you wondered, "why am I doing this again?" You might even catch a fish or two but still may not dig it.

BUT....

You may find yourself thinking about fishing all the time after kayak fishing. You'll start selling old hobby equipment you don't use to upgrade your fishing gear. You'll learn kayaks can hold a lot of stuff and will need to find extra money for bait tanks, fish finders, gaffs, safety gear, etc.

I hope you don't like kayak fishing too much, cause you'll spend a lot of time and money if you do. Buy what you can afford and start saving your money now.

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
captnblood34

X2
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #8
jorluivil

Don't buy on impulse and ask questions before you buy. $500 dollars isn't a ton of money when compared to some of the dollars that many of us have spent on kayaks and gear but its also not chump change. If you're in no hurry continue to save some money so that when that deal appears (and it will) you'll be ready.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Disp0sablehero
Junior

Take the given advice to heart coming from someone who was in your shoes about 3 months ago, I'm still buying things here and there and am not too sure I'm completely happy with my set up yet. Definitely test ride some different platforms and keep in mind all future accommodations you wish to have and comfort shouldn't be sacrificed especially if you plan on doing long trips as we all end up doing. Oh and be ready to figure out where you will be storing and how you will be transporting as well. Seems simple but these things get big and awkward fast so just another thing to prepare.

IMHO I'd say find one you really like that fits your budget and wait on all the additional fancy and fishing gear as you should spend some time learning to right your flipped yak and board from in the water... Yadda yadda rant over
Disp0sablehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
Welcome to the addiction. You could also go to OEX and demo some kayaks to find out what you like. The guys at OEX are awesome and will definitely help you out.

+1 OEX has some used yaks they sell every so often. You'll get a good deal and plenty of advice.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #11
TINCANYAK
Junior

Hey Allen, I see your in Dana Point. I'm in SC. We may have passes each other about 5 weeks ago just outside the harbor. May have been you who stopped to talk as you were heading out and I was drifting back in, but I'm terrible at remembering names. I was in the blue kayak.

John

Anyway, good advice. It's really hard not buying on impulse when you are eager to get out there, but do some homework first.
TINCANYAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
itwasbo
Junior

Quote:
Will they have something in my price range? <$500
Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #13
itwasbo
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Don't buy on impulse and ask questions before you buy. $500 dollars isn't a ton of money when compared to some of the dollars that many of us have spent on kayaks and gear but its also not chump change. If you're in no hurry continue to save some money so that when that deal appears (and it will) you'll be ready.
My only thing is like someone said I may hate fishing from a yak? I don't know I have never done it, I like the idea of it and I love the ocean, and respect it. But I feel like most things I dive into, I buy cheap and then upgrade
Old 10-10-2014, 09:58 AM   #14
octico

Here you go ....

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=23583
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
easyday

They may not have something for that price range, but the knowledge they have is invaluable. they also have a bunch of different kayaks to try out so you can get a feel for what type and size of kayak you want. They also have almost every accessory you are going to need for your new setup.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #16
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TINCANYAK View Post
Hey Allen, I see your in Dana Point. I'm in SC. We may have passes each other about 5 weeks ago just outside the harbor. May have been you who stopped to talk as you were heading out and I was drifting back in, but I'm terrible at remembering names. I was in the blue kayak.

John

Anyway, good advice. It's really hard not buying on impulse when you are eager to get out there, but do some homework first.
Yep that was me, I remember. Glad to see you found your way here, lots of good info to get you started.

Quote:
They may not have something for that price range, but the knowledge they have is invaluable. they also have a bunch of different kayaks to try out so you can get a feel for what type and size of kayak you want. They also have almost every accessory you are going to need for your new setup.

You might get lucky, I know of a few who have Message Iceman, if he has something in you're range coming up he'll hook you up. They get trade-ins and stuff from time to time.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
lookoutdj

Just saw this on Craigslist and thought it might help... Looks like OEX mission bay is clearing out some of there demo kayaks. Looks like they have a couple around your price point.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/sgd/4701992469.html
lookoutdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #18
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Steath 12 or 14 for $500 bucks!!??

My wife will not appreciate that when she sees yet another kayak in the garage.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote