Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
fishdude

Black T'eesday

Well its been awhile since posting or fishing for that matter so go easy on me.
Finally got a day to go and play with the fishes and it started out with a bang.
Did not feel like getting up to early and was feeling a bit tired from golf tourny in AZ and oh yeah that food poision thing did not help much either. Anyways, got to the launch about 7:30 am and it did not look good, washed out launch, a bit of breeze and the waves looked sloopy.

Screw it, I've got waders, the water proof jacket and I want some fish. Get out to just passed the bouy, make easy bait and figure pin one on and let him go while I start to track out, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ , here I go. Wow, I have caught Thresher before but this guy I think thought the water was boiling, he jumped at least 15 times or so, I quit counting, what a joy to see Mr. T go airborne on me like that. He was not a bad size 80lbs. or so I would guess. Did not take to long to get him to yak and started to think I just got here and I really want to hang longer to fish for yellers and ghost. He came unbuttoned right under me and thought perfect, my day is made lets go out.

I pin another mac on and within minutes,ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, SWEET this feels like the right kind, no jumping, some big runs and heading for the kelp. Up and down for a solid 30 minutes easy. He does kelp me but I play it right wait him out and I get on top of him. I start to see color and big black comes up. Take the circle hook out and with alot of moneurvering he finally goes back home. He to was a solid 70-80 lbs. OK lets get this party started and get some dinner.

the rest of the day was a battle fighting the wind and current. I did get picked up two more times but came off, Im thinking same kind, at least thats what I'm telling myself. Started to come in around 3 and get slammed again ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, ping, snapped the line. Now I'm done. Landing SUCKED, I felt like a rook trying to come in, however, the wind was whippen and waves, well they were waving, YAARDSALE.

Had some damage to the yak, my pride and lost my gaf and bait net, Oh well. All in all a good day.

Lots of bait out there early and late when I was coming in. Thanks for listening to my report.
fishdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Here is a better way to look at it. You caught 150 lbs of fish in one day and released them all to bite another day. Good for you. Go buy a fish taco or two and count your blessings, (The Brigantine in Del Mar has the best in my opinion. Go at happy hour and it is a great deal).

It has been a tough winter and spring for many of us. Many days lots of us only catch bait. Maybe the tide has turned. Thanks for the report.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:21 PM   #3
driftwood

That was a good fish report Thank you! the only way i would ever keep a T-shark is- if it comes up dead... But that's just me.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

kudos on the release's and keeping your eyes on the prize!!

some days even fighting them to the boat for your hook can take you out of the hunt for hours, and put the smack down on your gear (which is another good reason to NOT use circle hooks, with J hooks they swallow it and break off easily after a couple jumps or runs and you get all you line back and more importantly time).
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
sandydiego
Rum Pirate

Nicely done anyway. Glad you got back in one piece. Looked really nasty on the water.
sandydiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
Vikingj

Great report. Sorry about the crash landing.
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote