Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
spoonz2112
Junior

Crabs?

Hey everyone... been lurking here for a while, but have not had the occasion to post. I really appreciate all the great info other members have posted and have enjoyed many of the reports and stories as well. Have only been yakkin for a year or so now and am still learning many of the ins and outs of the sport. Spent most of my time in lakes and bays so far, but am eager to surf launch....mebee LJ this spring?
Lobster talk seems to be the rage this year, but I am more interested in where to go for crabbin.... nobody talks about them... whats the deal? I understand the hush hush nature of lobster fishing, so i wasn't sure if the crabs fell in the same catagory or just nobody goes for them. Thanks to the info on here and my own dumb luck I've had pretty good luck so far with the fish and have even managed a lobstah or two, so thanks all. Look forward to postin some more when I have something interesting to put. Take it easy.
spoonz2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
taggermike

Hey Spoonz, crabs aren't the big deal around SD like they are in other places. We have some smaller brown and red rock crabs that can have decent claw meat. There are some spider and sheep crabs around that can be taisty but are not very meaty. For the most part local crabs are more of a impedament to lobster hooping than a target. If you're thinking the big dungeness crabs you'll have to head up to the bay area or so. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Spyder

There are some nice big rock crabs to be had in San Diego. Depending on where you are hooping they are a common by-catch. I take the big ones home and cook them. They have sweet meat that is worth the effort.

Caught these this year and last off my yak..........

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-14-07-3.jpg (76.2 KB, 137 views)
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
spoonz2112
Junior

Yup, those are exactly what i'm looking for... thems are some nice crustaceans spyder thanks for the note. Safe paddling
spoonz2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
T Bone

CA King Crab(Sheep crab,spider crab)

Taste VERY similar to King Crab.Powerwash or scrub the crab because they are usually covered with algae because they move so slow.In a pot,make golf ball size tinfoil balls to elevate legs ABOVE water and steam for about 12-15 minutes.Legs are thicker than King crab and a nut cracker helps to crack them.Dip in butter and enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crab 006.jpg (59.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg crab cooker 004.jpg (57.0 KB, 69 views)

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote