Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
Trout
Looks are everything

Mike Sakamoto - RIP

If anyone has ever fished Hawaii, you've probably read something from Mike Sakamoto. Both a TV fishing show host and writer, Mike was there to teach. He died yesterday at 59 (young) - so sad.

I am personally thankful for him putting the pen to the paper. Me being someone that likes to write about fishing, obviously he is someone I turned to for a unique style and a wealth of knowlege. It's guys like Mike that make me interested in sharing what I know about fishing with others that are wanting to learn. Kind of the cycle of life. Talk about a good ambassabor for for the sport - Mike was it.

For those of you that don't know about him, think along the lines of someone like Ronnie Kovach - a guy that cut the learning curve of fishing for us in so many ways. When I moved to Hawaii, I thought I had fishing pegged. And until I started to implement certain HAWAIIAN fishing styles into my technique (that I learned from Sakamoto), times were tough! Mike was the man! Aloha...
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
dorado50

Sounds like an awesome person! Hawaiians really stand out as big game fisherman.Their knowledge is unique. I was lucky to be mentored by a non Hawaiian but fished many years in Hawaii with a charter biz. This guy was all about blues and tunas. One of the best things to come out of Hawaii is the "green stick" ,got it on my boat. Talk about a tuna killer.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
MalibuJohnny

About Mike

You can read about him here
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e=rss_breaking
Old 01-15-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
dorado50

What knowledge he must of had, gone but not forgotten,I'm sure.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Sorry to hear of this loss... RIP
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #6
MalibuJohnny

Mike painted too

http://www.hawaiiart.com/paintings/SandyCove.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
If anyone has ever fished Hawaii, you've probably read something from Mike Sakamoto. Both a TV fishing show host and writer, Mike was there to teach. He died yesterday at 59 (young) - so sad.

I am personally thankful for him putting the pen to the paper. Me being someone that likes to write about fishing, obviously he is someone I turned to for a unique style and a wealth of knowlege. It's guys like Mike that make me interested in sharing what I know about fishing with others that are wanting to learn. Kind of the cycle of life. Talk about a good ambassabor for for the sport - Mike was it.

For those of you that don't know about him, think along the lines of someone like Ronnie Kovach - a guy that cut the learning curve of fishing for us in so many ways. When I moved to Hawaii, I thought I had fishing pegged. And until I started to implement certain HAWAIIAN fishing styles into my technique (that I learned from Sakamoto), times were tough! Mike was the man! Aloha...