Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
PB fisher
feeesh

Launch Areas

Are you allowed to launch a fishing kayak from any area? I know the LJ boat launch is a designated area, but what about Bird Rock or any other beach areas in the region from PB to La Jolla?
Any restrictions on SD or Mission Bay?
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
yakrider

I'm not sure about any official "no launch" areas, but
I'm thinkin' if you can safely get your yak to a spot, and
the waves, rocks, and swells will allow...it's on...
go for it...
I know that the life guards, at some of the more populated beaches in the summer months, that have alot of swimmers, kinda frown on blasting through the swimmers...but other than that...I'd have to say if you have a spot yer not sure of and you wanna launch there...give it whirl...if it aint ok, I'm sure you'll find out...

side note: I have only been kayaking for two years
so I am a long way away from knowing all the rules on this...
maybe some saltier yakkers will chime in and shut me up....
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
taggermike

I've launched all over SD and Orange Counties and never had a problem. The life guards have the final say but they have always been cool to me. In the summer you can launch early on a deserted beach but when you come in around noon the place can be a freakin zoo in the water, on the sand and in the parking lot. That has happened to me and the guards had me land way down the beach and cart back. It's all good and safety first is the best. Some launches are just dicey or generally difficult, but not illegal. I've done Imperial Beach and the surf is almost always an issue there. The coves in North Laguna are super cool but the parking sucks and long stairs/trails make for a painful portage. The life guards there are easy going but they check your fishing license. Go figure. The toughest launch I think I ever did was at Salt Creek. The road down to the beach is looong and steep, the shore break is horrible, and when I got there the guards made it clear that they didn't have to let me launch. But they did. It is best to avoid the more popular beaches in the summer but you can hit them. Just get there early and keep you manners and patience about you. There are so many places to fish besides LJ and so many launches besides the shores. I think south LJ and the outer IB kelp will be my next targets. Get out there. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
PB fisher
feeesh

Thanks. I could not find any restrictions in the fish & game booklet, so I wanted to ask.
Trying to avoid fines...
PB fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Zed
BANNED

When the black ball is in effect, you can't launch. Sometimes the flag is a black and yellow checker designating one side or the other for swimming only. Whichever side is designated for surfing is alright to launch. Don't piss off the surfers. Stay in the channel. Duh.

Creek? WTF?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Some LG's want you to steer clear of launching/landing around swimmers and some turistas...every accessible beach is essentially open, regardless of surf conditions. Just got to pick a spot.

On landing, try to find a clear zone, try to plan your landing where surfers are, less swimmers in the area, plus, the surfers want to see you pull it off with a yak loaded with gear...

And if you encounter a surfer on the way in and they don't get out of your way, the wannabe picked the wrong spot to learn...

Just my 1X1+1 cents...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote