Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 AM   #1
dorf

Hobie Rudder Help

I have a 2007 Hobie Outback.
Saturday I was out in the harbour. As I was pedaling along I would start to turn left. I would try to move the rudder to the right to keep on course but there was no changing it. I went in a tight left circle. I looked back to see if there was anything caught in the rudder and it was clean. It looked as though the rudder was starting to lift on its own. I lifted the rudder and put it back down. A short time later this happened again. This happened about 6 times in the space of 15 minutes. It was very frustrating. When I got home I took a closer look. I couldn’t see any obvious signs of damage and it appeared to work fine.

I was wondering if anyone else was having a similar problem and if there was any easy fix for this (screw or lines to tighten?).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:00 AM   #2
steamroll

Paul,

It sounds like you need a rudder tune up. This can all be done at the back of the kayak.

DO NOT remove either rudder handle!

Untie the line in the back that controls the 'down' action of the rudder. Place the rudder and rudder handle in the 'down' position. Pull "down" line tight and retie.

Next, Untie the lines that controls the 'left' and 'right' action of the rudder. Place the rudder and steering handle all the way to the 'right', pull line tight and retie. Do the same thing for the left side.

This should fix most minor steering issues.

Feel free to call me at the shop if you run into any issues.

Nate

760-721-6195
Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
dorf

Thanks Nate.

I'll give a shot when I get home tonight.

Paul.