Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 08:07 PM   #1
fishnfoool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Having to hand-grab a 15lb mako shark, to get my rapala magnum deep diver back. "I had no net" At 15lbs and a full set of razor sharp teeth the mouth was big enough your hand could fit in. They are strong It skuirmed back and forth making it tough to get treble hooks out.
Boy when I tossed it back in the water it took off like a bullet.
I got a 40 pounder next to my kayak and I let him keep my rapala.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:23 PM   #2
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Tense moments.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoool View Post
I got a 40 pounder next to my kayak and I let him keep my rapala.
Indeed
Old 01-30-2023, 06:59 AM   #3
PapaDave

Two incidents here...

First, was out in the PA17 about 200 yards off the beach, swells were maybe three to four feet, doable. I was in a deeper area so they faded as they came over a reef further out. Except one... Ever surf in a PA17? Kayak swamped, waves kept going over me and a passenger. I pulled the rip cord on the guests life jacket but somewhere along the line mine went bye bye. After about half an hour we got close to the beach and were bombarded by waves. Life guards finally showed up and dragged us and the kayak up on the beach where we got warmed up. The guest never went out again, don't know why.

Second, was fishing along the beach playing with the leopard sharks, hooked up on a heavy one that barely moved. saw it off about 75 feet in dirty water and it wasn't a leopard, kind of grey. It sank back down. Thinking I had a soupfin or something, I continued to bring it to the kayak. It cruised under the kayak, still couldn't see it, thought I was winning the fight when it popped up under my kayak. I froze, swimming out from under my kayak was a huge GW, as long as my PA14, I could have pet it. I froze, the darn thing didn't even know it was hooked as it nonchalantly cruise out in front of me. Then it realized it was hooked and with a swish of the tail took off breaking my line like it wasn't there. I have to say, those things are massive up close, vids don't do it justice. I returned to the harbor to change my pants.

The GW stayed in the area for several months, came around to check me out nearly every time I went out, I named it Bob. It has since moved on.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:38 AM   #4
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
That would have made some great video footage......

Glad you made it safe after flipping over in shark infested water's
Old 02-03-2023, 11:29 AM   #5
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Glad you made it safe after flipping over in shark infested water's
Thanks, but the surfing wasn't shark infested... Just cold.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:19 PM   #6
stevie951
Lurker

Not really scary cause I was 24 or so at the time.. O' dark thirty an hour before greyligh we get to deer creek and it sounded like constand thunder.. 6 foot shore pound mabe 3/4's of a second interval.. Mama didnt raise no bitch was the war cry,, two complete washes in the machine 30 minutes, second flip later I couldnt overturn the kayak cause putting pressure on my knee felt like a knife impaling it.. tried to radio the guys outside the surfline to just head out as that was it for me but no luck with the waterlogged radio.. we hit it because the wsb were on and they later send a couple pictures of their bounty

Torn MCL.. luckily everything was tucked in the hatches so no yard sale but yeah,, lugged my shit up those stairs all on my own at sunrise..

talk about walk of shame to drive my self to Kaiser on a Sunday at 5am sandy and soaking.. have some other stories that may or may not include being too inxoicated, flipping while taking a piss and losing a brand new torium/saguro setup among other things that werent leashed or stored.. talk about a horror story

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 02-03-2023 at 11:26 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:23 PM   #7
stevie951
Lurker

balls were puckered here to for sure tho..

thinking back I'm not too sure I loosened the drags
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16252397_1349049488490332_2589467851668455960_o.jpg (67.6 KB, 43 views)

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote