Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
hage0429
Junior

Santa Ana River Surf Launch

Does anyone ever surf launch near the Santa Ana river in Newport? I've been seeing more and more boats out in that direction lately and would like to try someplace new but it would be a long haul to paddle down there from the jetty.

The surf usually hits hard enough along the peninsula that I haven't been excited about launching just anywhere. It seems like the current of the "river" sometimes knocks the surf down a bit but I'm not sure if it would add other complications to launching.

Thought I'd check and see if anyone on here has ever done it. Also I'm curious if anyone knows what is being targeted out there; I know there is an artificial reef somewhere in that direction that people target rockfish on in the winter but I find it hard to believe that there are 20 boats out there fishing rockfish with all the other options available right now.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, if anyone is interested in trying it with me let me know!
hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
cabojohn
PROBATION

There are much better places to launch and fish in Newport.
Not a lot of bang for the buck here at RJ's...
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
octico

Try elsewhere ....

I agree with John. I have heard of folks fishing that area off yaks with very little reward. I recommend you head out the harbor. Lots of good action just outside the Jetty. I was out there last Saturday, I limited on rockfish, caught two sand bass, a couple good size barracuda and nice a Calico and to top it off we were done before 11AM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
fishingfiend

I'm curious too! Fishdope reports quality YT at the end of the Santa Ana Pipe. That would explain the increasing boat traffic out there.

Is there a reasonable place to surf launch in the area?
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

I always considered launching where the dory fleet does near the Newport Beach pier. Only problem was metered parking.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:10 AM   #6
bigbarrels

Wouldn't recommend launching there unless it is absolutely flat. Top to bottom barrels there. launching at pier as Andy suggest is perfect in the summer when there is primarily south swell in the water.

You can easily launch there but you will likely get launched yourself
Old 09-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
hage0429
Junior

Thanks for the feedback all! Not quite the same topic but I took a paddle from the jetty toward balboa pier last night and had a small school of YT pop up on the surface. I didn't have an iron handy so had to throw my jig at them. Is there a general rule on how close you can get without spooking fish? I had to get pretty close to reach them with what I had tied on and might have chased them back down.

Octico, I'll have to follow you around one of these days. I haven't specifically spent a day looking for rockfish yet but have dropped chunks of squid down several time upon stumbling across a hump or dip on the sonar with no luck.

Fishingfiend, the feedback doesn't sound promising but I'll have to take a scouting walk one of these days. Depending on the direction/size of the swell some of the small breakwalls along the coast could potentially offer enough shelter to make an easy-ish launch. Newport pier wouldn't be a long paddle either if that made for an easier launch.
hage0429 is offline   Reply With Quote