Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #1
Dannowar

Encantadas 7/19-7/22 report

Made the 7 hour journey down to gonzaga after work and pulled the all nighter. Arrived sunday morning around 11 am to cloudy/rainy skies and zero wind. immediately set up camp at the palapas and went out for a dive. Visibility was hazy and chalky, maybe 10 feet max. certainly not the vis I've seen before but still managed by personal best cabrilla.

day two was a bit of a bust, water was still green from the last hurricane and all the high spots were with TERRIBLE visibility. My buddy Marcus nailed the big ole parrotfish which is beginning to be one of my favorite fish to eat. after a long day on the panga we still had time for an evening dive, this is where the fun (sarcasm) began. The ripping currents and dirty water brought with it the "aguamalas" or "string of pearls" jellyfish. these bastards are like spiderwebs and were everywhere. every tiny piece of skin that was exposed was brutally stung and caused shocking pain and numbness for 30 minutes to an hour. i only took one medium sized cabrilla and a bigger model after the panga ride. had some
(ok, a lot) of beers and passed out shortly. woke up to the most incredible view of the stars I've ever seen in my life. enjoyed the view and passed out again.

Day three encompassed everything i love about Baja. Zero wind, great visibility and a few fish. i was more selective on the fish as my freezer is plenty full. Saw plenty of very small snapper and 15-20 pound gulf grouper, even some yellowtail. took some cabrilla for the family and we packed it in and headed for home.

Over all, we lucked out on weather as I've heard its brutally hot this time of year. Bummer on the water quality and most of the big boys have gone deep till the fall. Had a great time sleeping under the stars and roughing it in my new 4x4 truck. What are you waiting for? Saw one other person fishing the entire time. Yea la jolla is going off, but guess what, i didn't have to find a parking spot, make bait, fight sea lions, or worry about anybody else fishing within a 10 mile radius. Cant wait for la paz next month. Cheers!

Old 07-22-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Nice grade of fish! I must of just missed you guys I left there about 10am on Sunday morning right after breakfast from the restaurant. It got up to 110 degrees on Saturday but was noticeably cooler on Sunday.

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Dannowar

Yea Luis said you just left haha. We will be back in October sometime.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #4
Ggiannig89

1. I gots to get into diving. Just don't know if I can afford a new hobby.
2. I gots to get down to Mex.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:07 AM   #5
taggermike

Looks like a great trip. Quality cabrilla. That whole area from PTO Final to pruertocitos is just gorgeous. That aquamalo van be just a misery. Fished thru it once and every drop of water that came off the reel on my face, neck, arms, hands, legs were covered in a burning rash. A wet suit might make it better but that stuff sucks. Thanks for sharing. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
Deamon

Bad ass as usual Danny. Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #7
WARRIORMIKE

thats some cool chit for sure!
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
ashmoz

beaaaaaaaaaaast.
ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM   #9
captnblood34

I saw quite a few that size last month when I was diving the point. My 38 woody didn't have the range. Next time I'll be prepared. ALSO.... I was attacked by jellies the whole time. Nice haul.
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #10
blitzburgh

Great write up Danno!
Old 07-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #11
Zed
BANNED

Good trip. Nice shootin. Thanks for sharin w us. The clouds really did you a favor.

Met those jellys in BdLA one April. First time was a string right across my face below my mask. Worst razor burn ever!

Ageeed on the parrotfish. Tasty flesh. Havent seen one up that high but thats a good one.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #12
dmrides

Looks like an awesome trip! Great write up.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
exfactor
Junior

Great trip! what are those bones? next to your bowl of something that looks very delicious?
exfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:23 AM   #14
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
Great trip! what are those bones? next to your bowl of something that looks very delicious?
cabrilla jaws are next to a bowl of my top secret recipe "mango serrano ceviche"

Old 07-24-2015, 05:31 AM   #15
RobFish
Massive Member

Nothing but epic Danno!
That's a great set of jaws too.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:39 AM   #16
bigbarrels

Awesome!!