Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
surfisher

I had my shot ....

Well, the seals were relentless to me monday. I hooked up and thought yellowtail, till I saw a seal. Then the fish went crazy. I think the seal ended up chasing it and I was able to gain on it a few times and I figured it may have still been a seal with my fish till the very last run at which point I figured big bonito .... whatever it was it put up a great fight and I lost. Check it out.

I've lost my baits to seals plenty of times, even hooked one by accident but normally my line snaps before anything else happens. Thoughts?

P.S. I look like a fool at the beginning because the damn fish kept changing directions real fast, so it dragged me backwards for a bit, good learning experience and next time I'll back the drag off more right away so I can reposition my rod easier and not risk flipping.

Last edited by surfisher; 07-08-2015 at 08:38 AM.
surfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Caseym

Helluva try!
Hey, just checked the web cam off Tamarack...is there a new patch of kelp growing, it looked real real close to the lineup straight out off Tamarack St. Don't remember seeing it there before, seemed like it was further North.
Caseym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseym View Post
Helluva try!
Hey, just checked the web cam off Tamarack...is there a new patch of kelp growing, it looked real real close to the lineup straight out off Tamarack St. Don't remember seeing it there before, seemed like it was further North.
Yea, goes all the way up to army navy. Not very thick but it's out there. Tamarack is an easy launch, coming in is another story.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
bigbarrels

Lost a YT to a sealion on Sunday👎
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

TUNA!!!!!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:52 PM   #6
Apex

Dragging on the rocks
Old 07-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #7
FISH11

The fast changes in the direction, the strong straight down runs with strong head shakes and the real fast sleigh ride. All those remind me on when I hooked up and got towed around in circles and than for over a half mile straight run by a good size Thresher. Finally he went airborne a few times and in one of the jumps did a 180 degree turn in mid air and with his tail just whacked and broke my 65lb braid. What a fun ride and what a super strong fish that was. Looks like fun times surfisher.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #8
Deamon

If one has the composure and trust in this method...this won't work if you're a twitchy mofo like CBad...Andre and/or Jorge . Surfisher, ummm...you're not ready either, lol.

Go free spool w your fish if Mr. Seal is in hot pursuit. Control your spool to avoid a backlash. Allow your fish to leave the zone keeping it hooked up but further away (50-100 yards). Mr. Seal cannot keep up with a fleeing fish and will give up and you'll see it swim away. You can then reel your fish in. Of course this won't work if you're near the kelp as tails love to find the kelp when fleeing.

Works with paddies too. If your tail dives into the paddy, free spool and it will most likely swim out/down and you can pop off any stringers while in free spool. This should happen before your tail circles around ten times and really gets knotted up...Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
If one has the composure and trust in this method...this won't work if you're a twitchy mofo like CBad...Andre and/or Jorge . Surfisher, ummm...you're not ready either, lol.

Go free spool w your fish if Mr. Seal is in hot pursuit. Control your spool to avoid a backlash. Allow your fish to leave the zone keeping it hooked up but further away (50-100 yards). Mr. Seal cannot keep up with a fleeing fish and will give up and you'll see it swim away. You can then reel your fish in. Of course this won't work if you're near the kelp as tails love to find the kelp when fleeing.

Works with paddies too. If your tail dives into the paddy, free spool and it will most likely swim out/down and you can pop off any stringers while in free spool. This should happen before your tail circles around ten times and really gets knotted up...Jim
Thanks for the advice, wouldn't backing the drag off quite a bit work the same? Or would that still be putting too much pressure on the fish to make a clean get-away from the seal?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #10
kaya_one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post

Mastah, Jim... (Notes taken)
kaya_one is offline   Reply With Quote