Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
kiyo21

calstar

whats a good calstar rod for yoyo with a MXL? and what irons should i look at for this? I know about surface but just starting to get into yoyo
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
FishNinjaY

I'm interested in this info also.

I found a decent description of the various irons and surface vs yoyo.. on the Charkbait website. It describes the various Tadys, weights, uses. A good place to start for noobs like me.

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csc_Tady.htm

Some quick tips I've heard... the chrome/blue seem to get bit, also scrambled egg and blue-white patterns? The white with red S and glow is good for WSB. I know none of this from firsthand experience. Just regurgitating what I've overheard, being the fly on the wall at my LTS..
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:37 AM   #3
oneyedeer

800m is a great all around rod yoyo and light to medium surface irons....it does it all!
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
kiyo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyedeer View Post
800m is a great all around rod yoyo and light to medium surface irons....it does it all!
Hhhmmmm I'm gunna look into that one, I have a surface rod the 100j just need for yoyoing but can always use a back up surface for friends
Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

one of the best write ups on the iron.

http://www.seasamurai.com/SurfaceIron.html

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
taggermike

Fishing Yo-yo iron does not usually involve much casting so a shorter rod is fine. Some thing 6-7 feet long range is ideal. I use graphite for all my bait rods but for irons I still like glass. You know when you're bit and a glass rod absorbs the shock better than graphite, imo. I wrapped a calstar WC670, I think that was the blank, for yoyoing. Not high tech, heavy glass, rated for 40lb, with a slightly soft tip. Worked great.
As for irons, the salas 6x jr and the tady 9 are always winners. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #7
TCS

700MH
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
kiyo21

Ya My only concern with somthing under 8' is I herd that if I ever have to swing around my 10' I'm screwed but idk I think if the tip of the rod takes a dive I can fight home under the yak insted of trying to bat the birds
Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyo21 View Post
Ya My only concern with somthing under 8' is I herd that if I ever have to swing around my 10' I'm screwed but idk I think if the tip of the rod takes a dive I can fight home under the yak insted of trying to bat the birds
Along your same line of thinking.. I was concerned about a rod not being long enough if I have to swing it around my 14' oasis tandem!

But, someone brought up another good point, which is that if you have a big fish, a longer rod can be a bit tricky to bring the fish boatside for the gaff shot.. without having a clumsy long rod to wrestle with under your armpit while trying to gaff a fish dangling on 14' of line.

I just got a 6'6" heavy rod for my Revo Toro 50.
We'll see how it goes...
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote