Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-31-2021, 07:49 PM   #1
Hillbillymad

Talking 9 mile bank

Has anyone ever made it on the yak there if so what’s your tactics
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Maxfli123

Listen to lets talk hook up from 2/2 guys from hobie talk about hitting up the 9 mile bank🤙
Maxfli123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
Hillbillymad

Sick thanks
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #4
TCS

I've done it in my livingston skiff. It's a long ways out there, and once you're at 'the bank' you've really just arrived in a zone of several square miles where fish could be, but usually are not. (Assuming your hoping for Tuna)

The biggest concern is safety. Who is coming to get you if you're in trouble? How are you going to contact them? How will you stay afloat till they get there? How will they see you?

Handheld VHF is not reliable out there unless there's a boat nearby who can relay for you. I have a SPOT emergency beacon and VHF radio.

If you have not done so already I'd suggest you find a friend with a center console skiff and get some experience with offshore fishing before trying it with peddle power. Or do a mothership trip.

Last edited by TCS; 02-09-2021 at 08:54 AM.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
grey zone

TCS hit the nail on the head. Can you get to the 9 on a kayak, yes. Is it safe, no! There is so much good inshore fishing, why risk your life.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
summers in kuwait

I've done some pretty long trips during the summer months, when tuna were close. A few trips around 28-32 miles in total.

A lot of good points made here. Safety being #1.

Also, consider the following, catching a larger tuna 8-12 miles offshore.

If you keep your eyes and ears on the reports, and get enough time on the water, you might be able to luck out and get some exotics much closer in.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
monstahfish

I've done long distance trips like this before but if you want a tuna off the yak, your best bet is to keep an ear to the ground and wait for reports of them in close. A few years ago I got a fish dope subscription and checked the reports and chart every day. I saw reports of bluefin within 2 miles of carlsbad and found them launching off Ponto about 2.5 miles out. Only got one shot at them before the took off on the horizon but it was pretty cool to be out there with a pod of blue whales and tuna coming up at the same time.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote