Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
45user

Shimano calcutta 400te or 400d?

Hello all,
Want to add a calcutta reel to my arsenal this year. It will be used for mainly inshore work/halibut bait soaking and hopefully occasional WSB/YT if I'm lucky enough this year. I know te model is discontinued but I know used ones are still around. Which would be better for above application?
Thank you!
45user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
GregAndrew

Absolutely loved my TEs until I wore out a part of the frame on 3 of the 4. They can handle all the fish you are concerned with, as long as you are in no hurry to force them up. I have not tried the D yet, but I have a concern about the stationary levelwind on freespool. I fish braid, and know that it does not like to slide sideways across itself. Which it may have to do with the levelwind on one side or the other during a cast. It may also have to do that under pressure as a fish pulls drag because it will not stay synchronized with the line on the spool, cast after cast or drop after drop. The narrow spool combined with the newer, smoother, lines may compensate for this though?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
JeffB

D or TE?

I have both TE's and D's. The D hands down is the better reel. My TE's are great, but just not as strong. I think both my D's are a little bit smoother as well. I brag about them all the time to the guys I fish with and recommend them to everyone. I think of them as a miniature conventional reel. I've pulled up a few nice halibut and a small BSB (20-25lb) with my 400D and pulled up some nice lings and SB with the 300D. I also pulled in my recent catch no problem either with my 300D, I had two witnesses to vouch.

This is my personal opinion, but I love my D's better than my TE's. But no matter what Calcutta you get, you can not go wrong. I even love my B's, even though they are not in the same class strength wise.

Notice the reel next to the fish!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (89.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Absolutely loved my TEs until I wore out a part of the frame on 3 of the 4. They can handle all the fish you are concerned with, as long as you are in no hurry to force them up. I have not tried the D yet, but I have a concern about the stationary levelwind on freespool. I fish braid, and know that it does not like to slide sideways across itself. Which it may have to do with the levelwind on one side or the other during a cast. It may also have to do that under pressure as a fish pulls drag because it will not stay synchronized with the line on the spool, cast after cast or drop after drop. The narrow spool combined with the newer, smoother, lines may compensate for this though?
Thank you for your reply! Decisions decisions!
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I have both TE's and D's. The D hands down is the better reel. My TE's are great, but just not as strong. I think both my D's are a little bit smoother as well. I brag about them all the time to the guys I fish with and recommend them to everyone. I think of them as a miniature conventional reel. I've pulled up a few nice halibut and a small BSB (20-25lb) with my 400D and pulled up some nice lings and SB with the 300D. I also pulled in my recent catch no problem either with my 300D, I had two witnesses to vouch.

This is my personal opinion, but I love my D's better than my TE's. But no matter what Calcutta you get, you can not go wrong. I even love my B's, even though they are not in the same class strength wise.

Notice the reel next to the fish!!!
Nice 'butt!!!
Thank you for your reply!

I heard that TE has clickers and D doesn't
Does that make any reel better or worse than the other?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Daiwa Luna's are awesome. And the 300 has a bait clicker. Also a little cheaper than the mentioned calcuttas. I have had my luna 300, for years without changing drags and it still handles some decent size yellows. Very versatile, and dependable reel. But maybe you're a shimano guy I don't know.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakDout View Post
Daiwa Luna's are awesome. And the 300 has a bait clicker. Also a little cheaper than the mentioned calcuttas. I have had my luna 300, for years without changing drags and it still handles some decent size yellows. Very versatile, and dependable reel. But maybe you're a shimano guy I don't know.
Thank! Yup, I was looking at Luna also but like you mentioned I'm a shimano/avet guy haha
Daiwa reels are fine but shimano just feels more refined(?)to me, smoother I guess
But I am going to take a look at luna also
Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
JeffB

If your looking for a FREE "400D", then you can go fish around the west shoal of SI. I donated one over there not too long ago! Oh and it's on a bitchin' rod as well!
Old 01-15-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Love my 400D They are sweet reels. I agree with Greg though, I wish the level wind stayed engaged. I run 50lbs. original Powerpro and sometimes the line coming off at the edges off spool is a little harsh. But, with that said the spool is pretty narrow and could probably benefit with some Superslick. They are very smooth with lots of power. I have never fished the te but absolutely love the Calcutta b.with a power handle added. They are really hard to beat for the money.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I have 2 Calcutta 400D's and love them. Had a 400TE before I donated it to Poseidon. I wish the D's had a clicker, but I'll manage.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:23 PM   #11
gabe

The TE's are not discontinued. The new TE's look awesome but I am going with the D series.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...ge-SCTEDC.html

Gabe
Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
45user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
The TE's are not discontinued. The new TE's look awesome but I am going with the D series.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...ge-SCTEDC.html

Gabe
That link is a different TE. It's digital control reel, supposedly you never get backlash?

So does anyone use bait clicker when halibut fishing?
Thanks!
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
rhyak

gonna throw a curve ball at you, I know you feel like a Shimano guy, but feel me out. Try a Diawa Lexa 300 has 22lbs of drag 400 has 25lbs of drag. Ive had mine since they came out and love them.

Things are beast and great for bass to yellows to seabass and everything in between. Nothing is even close in strength and cost. Shimanos closest reel in strength and size is twice the cost. IMO.

rhyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #14
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I agree about the Lexa 300. I've been a Shimano guy forever, mainly because I like their products, but also because their service dept is local and very good, however I made a couple tries with the Calcutta's and Curados and found that thy couldn't hold up to my kayak fishing environment. About a year ago I purchased a lexa 300 from a private party on Craig's list and am totally happy with its performance and for a lot less money than the low profile Shimano reels.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 AM   #15
rogersmith

I love my 400B, great reel so far
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
JeffB

The daiwa Luna 300, Lexa 300-400, Curado 300E-EJ, Calcutta B are not in the same class as the D's. I own/or owned all of the reels and love them, but trust me, totally different class. Lol trust me.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #17
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
B are not in the same class as the D's. I own/or owned all and love them, but trust me, totally different class.
We talking fishing or female extremities?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #18
janines.fishtales@cox.net

Hey!

I resemble that remark!

Janine
Old 01-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #19
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janines.fishtales@cox.net View Post
I resemble that remark!