Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #21
dmrides

Congrats Jim! That is big time! Making the backside on that magazine is almost as nice as the backside on the front of that magazine.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #22
jorluivil

I once got arrested for speeding and DUI but Jim Day.....................

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #23
Aaron&Julie

Hmmm, obviously we're missing a whole lot on the Jim Day side thread...anyone care to send a PM to let us know what this is about?
We do know he's been a regular on the kayak fishing forums for various websites for the last decade or so...
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #24
dorado50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Jim D, it would make it much easier for all of us if you just told what you HAVEN'T done.
Like button......

can't figure out how the thread jack has anything to do with Jim S. thread????
anyway... maybe in the future that playboy cover girl may become a client
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #25
ful-rac
Emperor

The fine art of the threadjack gotta love it
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Jim D, it would make it much easier for all of us if you just told what you HAVEN'T done.
It's really pretty simple. It seems like I do a lot, but I only really do two things: fishing, and building things, or just making shit. I've been doing those same two things since I was like five years old and everything else is kind of a spin off of those two things.

I got into art because it was a way to make money building things, same with welding and custom fabrication. I like to cycle because I like building bikes, same with motorcycles, and they are both cheap ways to get to a fishing hole.

Never been to Europe or anywhere else out of the US except Mexico (for fishing), and I pretty much only travel for work or to go fishing. Been on TV a few times but it was work related once again building things.

Fishing and fishery issues got me interested in the environment, and science.
It also got me interested in boats. Building boats combined fishing and making things, same with Kayaks, so it was a natural for me. You may not have heard the story but I never kayaked before I built a kayak that I designed myself. My first trip I fished that kayak out of MDR and I caught a few halibut. I kid you not... when I sat down in it I'd never been in a yak before and almost fell over right then, gear and all, right at the dock.

I think I'm really lucky I found a way to make a living doing what I really love to do. My old man was the same way, in that he loved to build things but he worked the last half of his life at a desk job he hated. At least I have my shop and my tools and am doing what I love full time.

The biggest problem for me is I hate making the same thing twice, and I hate paperwork, so I have no patents, no set clientele and there's no set steady market for what I do. Trust me it's not all making steel underwear for fashion models either. Custom fabrication just means making shit for whoever comes through the door. Last week I built a bunch of steel painting racks for a woman in Topanga , next week I'm building a steel and plastic greenhouse porch for a Swiss guy. I'm helping a girl build her first bike frame next weekend, and after that I'll probably be welding on another a 21 ft Bayrunner. Last month I didn't work at all because I got hit by a car riding my bike and almost got my neck broke. So I just live by my wits day to day.

I don't really have to B.S. about the things I know and do. I either know something or don't, or have done something or I haven't, no point in pretending otherwise. Usually when I think or believe something I have good reason for it. I know it looks like I talk a lot of shit but the truth is you only get the tip of the iceberg, and most of the shit I play with I never put online.

For instance I saw your Harley in your garage photo the other day, so I gather you know something about bikes.

We should ride together. I ride some with the VVMC guys, as well as the Cretins, and also the Deus Ex Machina crowd. You should come up and ride with us the next ride. Good group of guys and the rides are a blast. I just missed Hanson Dam and the Hell on wheels event but I try to make the things I can, and hit most of the Deus events.

Here's a link to the last one:

https://www.facebook.com/events/405327732913170/

Pics for that event: Deus 2013 Bike build off.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1230636&type=3

My bike (one of less then forty) in that show.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Here's a pic for those who don't do Facebook:

What's cool about that bike other then it's unique (completely my design) is that that silver stainless piece behind the shock pulls out and the bike drops down into a more chopper geometry.

In that pic it's up in desert riding mode but when I pull the spacer it looks like this:

The suspension is full on offroad capable (DRZ400 forks R1200GS rear) so I can ride it out to the desert as a chopper, throw it on the center stand then raise it with the spacer and ride on rougher terrain. End of the day I drop it back into a chopper for the ride home. One fun bike.

I'm not saying it won anything in the contest, or that it's incredibly bad ass, but it got a lot of attention, and that's just a daily rider I threw together with almost no money from my old wrecked R65, and straight up I'm proud as hell that they even asked me to participate at all since I missed the registration date.

Bottom line if I say I built something or fished somewhere I probably did. If I start trying to pretend I'm some kind of world traveler or a rich guy with a Ferrari you have my permission to give me a good kick in the ass

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 11-08-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
jorluivil

Why did I ask

Old 11-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #28
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Wow Jim Day, that some fine looking metal.

LOL... not even Jim Sammon can stop you now.

Jorge is really jealous of especially the bike and the ladies. Tony, just likes the females model.

btw.... You are now known as the Kayak Ninja Thread Jacker

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 11-08-2013 at 09:18 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Like button.....anyway... maybe in the future that playboy cover girl may become a client
I hear you. I think she was only 18 when that photo was taken and at the time I thought she was way to young, but that hey that was in 1995.

I got a feeling she's still hot, and now I wouldn't seem so much like a dirty old man.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #30
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Wow Jim Day, that some fine looking metal.
Thanks Man

I try to keep the motorcycle and cycling stuff separate but I really am pretty happy with that bike.

I love Team Sewer. I may give you a hard time, but you guys crack me up. One of these day I might even have to come to one of your events*

*Disclaimer: this is neither a promise or a threat.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #31
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Thanks Man

I try to keep the motorcycle and cycling stuff separate but I really am pretty happy with that bike.

I love Team Sewer. I may give you a hard time, but you guys crack me up. One of these day I might even have to come to one of your events*

*Disclaimer: this is neither a promise or a threat.

We'd love to have you fish with us.

Last edited by jorluivil; 11-08-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot to add..............NOT!!!!!
Old 11-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #32
Deamon

To both Jims...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
For instance I saw your Harley in your garage photo the other day, so I gather you know something about bikes. We should ride together. I ride some with the VVMC guys, as well as the Cretins, and also the Deus Ex Machina crowd. You should come up and ride with us the next ride.
Jorge accepts Jim Day's offer, goes riding with the "Cretins" and is never seen again. Six months later, Jim Day's posting up photos of this bad arse new old bike he's been tinkering with in his shop. 12 months after that, photos of Jorge wearing that playboy girls tubular outfit are posted anonymously on BWE...then viral on the internet. Candy and the kids can't go outside anymore and are forced to move out of the neighborhood. Not a big move because all of the kayak and fishing gear was sold just after Jorge was declared missing...I'm just saying. Be careful, be very careful. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #33
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
You know you have made the big time when you make it into Playboy magazine.
OK it is the back cover of Playboy in Venezuela but still pretty cool.

I can't read Spanish so I guess I will just have to look at the pictures.
Great work Jim.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #34
gabe

Jim, may I have an autographed copy? I do read Spanish so this may be an interesting read

Gabe
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #35
StinkyMatt

Congrats on the magazine Jim.

Too bad most guys will never get to the last page.....
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #36
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
I heard Jorge has already contacted Mr Day and has been outfitted with a new metal prototype suit for the Irvine trout fishing tournament...Wow...that was quick work... and congrats Mr Sammons on making the back cover...BTW I have a feeling Jorge will be joining your fame soon after the Irvine trip...
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #37
lamb