Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Tuna Training 2015: Hanohano Huki Ocean Challenge

I'm in off-season training mode for the unassisted kayak tuna (UKT) this summer. I figure you need to be good for a minimum 25 mile paddle to achieve the UKT. So, perhaps foolishly, I have decided to race my prowler 15 in the Hanohano huki ocean challenge tomorrow on mission bay. The surfskis and outriggers will smoke me, but i figure I have a good chance to beat up on some SUPers. They wouldn't let me enter the long course in my kayak, so I'll be doing the short course in the bay...

If anybody else who isn't doing the bay tourney wants to take a crack at a one of a kind paddling race, check out the link below. My suspicion is that pedal propulsion will be frowned upon (;

However, I personally won't discriminate against any pedal-pushers who want to join me in the pursuit of the UKT this season!

http://www.hanohano.com/events/ocean-challenge/

https://paddleguru.com/races/2015Han...OceanChallenge

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

UKT is one of my goals for 2015 also but rather than spend all that time and energy getting ready for a 25 mile paddle, I decided to move to where I he tuna grounds are 4 or 5 miles off the beach.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
chris138
donkey roper

Nice! Is that Florida or Hawaii? The Big Island boys are my biggest kayak heroes, other than the Darkhorse of course. I almost got a kage, but then realized that it is totally unnecessary for so-cal lol.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Nope here:
http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=24377
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 01-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Ohhh DAMN! I missed this thread... That is so rad good for you! I would love to come camp on your lot some day! Such a generous offer!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #6
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Just do it
— Herman Melville

Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 PM   #7
Pagzzz
Junior

I was racing an SUP ... Pretty sure I saw you out there! (Or at least one person in a kayak doing the short course race). Fun time!

I also have an outrigger canoe and would love to try and join an effort to land a tuna unassisted a man-powered watercraft. Keep us updated as the season unfolds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pagzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Yup that was me... the only entry in the kayak division. FIRST PLACE! (:

Ended up 83rd over all in a field of 500+ paddlers. Averaged just over 5mph for 1 hour straight. The 5 mile course, along with a 2 mi warmup and a 2 mile cool down was good for 9miles on the day.

Surfski or OC-01 would be the ideal way to get the UKT. I was pushing hard to maintain 5mph+, and the fastest I went was 6.3mph. Surfskis can average ~8 mph in flat water, and catch open ocean swells taking them well above 10mph.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Pagzzz
Junior

Yep, on a hard paddle I can get my OC-1 to about 7.5 mph, but downswell, easily into the 10-12 mph range if the winds are good.

Surfski isn't practical for fishing, but I've fished the bays on my OC-1 OK, and next plan is to catch a YT off La Jolla on it. Downside of an OC-1 for fishing though is lack of storage options, so will have to rig very light. Jig fishing only.
Pagzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
chris138
donkey roper

I saw this article about these south africans with tricked out fishing skis.

http://www.allkayakfishing.com/fishi...hing_ski2.html

They aren't as fast as the racing skis i bet, and maybe not that much faster than my prowler. OC-01 you could put a couple rod holders on the yaku and troll a feather or a Rapala. It would be cool to have an OC-01 along as a scout. So the big yak could be the "mothership" with bait and lunch on board. The OC-01 can just carry a couple poles and a radio and have a little more mobility. Really what we need is just a crew of 4 or 5 solid paddlers/watermen who can handle their shit on a 20 mile+ trip.

Lets see some pics of the OC-01 rigged for fishing! My girlfriend has an OC-01 and it would be cool to get some ideas for how to rig one to fish.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
cabojohn
PROBATION

5+mph average on that kayak was no walk in the park. Well done.

I know two of us here are considering composite boats for out next rides - Kaskazi "Dorado" ??

Last edited by cabojohn; 01-26-2015 at 03:50 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote