Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #1
strackle99
Here fishy, fishy...

Thanks to "Fight On"

I went out of SI yesterday (March 31st) at 2:00 to fish plastics around the Navy pilings across the bay. I headed straight for the red channel marker bouy on the far side of the bay.
About 2/3 of the way across the channel, I noticed a 50'+ sportfisher 1000 yards south, bearing down on me. He was doing 12-15 kts, heading out of the channel. There were no other vessels within 1 mi.
When he was 300 yards off, I realized a collision was emminent, as I could no longer see any heads on the bridge.
I stopped paddling, and the guy passed 40ft off my bow, kicking up a wake that was over my head. The one guy on the bridge was concentrating hard on the chick he had with him on the bridge. I shrugged my shoulders at the guy, and he yelled that I shouldn't be in the channel. He sure slowed down however when he passed a destroyer, I am guessing someone got on a radio and yelled at him.
It was a 50'+ late model sport-fisher, named Fight On, with a tower, satellite TV ball, and looked to be either a Bertram or a Viking. I just wanted to take the time to say how much I really appreciate boaters like this. Thanks for reading my rant, I might put in a couple drifts by the SDB bait receiver today.
strackle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
dorado50

That really sucks having a boat come that close! I know it was'nt me cause I rarely go under 30 knots thru the channel!!!!!
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
strackle99
Here fishy, fishy...

It is a very unsettling feeling to see 6 ft of bow, and a tower, and NO people heading fast in your direction.
Anyway, it didn't stop me from fishing, and I got 7 good strikes, 2 good hook-ups, one sandie, no flatties.
I should have let him hit me. After years of litigation, and hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees, I would have a boat like his for "free". A nice upgrade from my OK Scrambler.
strackle99 is offline   Reply With Quote