Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
landwhale

MLPA meeting March 3-4

The meeting was moved from Onard to Long Beach

YOU REALLY NEED TO TRY AND MAKE THIS MEETING PUBLIC COMMENT WILL BE ALLOWED FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THIS PROCESS

March 3-4, 2009
Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center
701 West Ocean Blvd.
Long Beach, CA 90831

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Billy V

What time does the meeting take place ?

Is this the time for an organized appearance from Kayak Fisherman ?
---------------
I would bet they change up the meeting place again, as they have done in the past to throw off the opposition.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
landwhale

The RSG members were notified of this change though I have not recieved my e-mail notification. I was told the 3rd starts 9am and the 4th 8am I will update this as the meeting agenda is published.

Yes this is the time to start getting involved

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Podaker

keep us posted, i will try to make it with billy (unless work gets in the way). i would like to have a say in this. i have lived in la jolla for 25 years and fished here for over a decade. it would be devastating to take away our local fishing grounds.(not just la jolla but all of the california coastline) hopefully they will listen to the public's opinion on this issue.
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
PAL

No one has an agenda yet, but I can confirm meeting hours of 9:30 to 6:30 on the 3rd, and 8:00 to 5:00 on the 4th.

If you're going to be in Long Beach anyway to catch the Fred Hall Show, I encourage you to come on by the upcoming MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder meetings. Bear witness to what's going down, maybe get yourself a better understanding of the process. At any rate, it is encouraging to have friendly faces in the seats.

Public testimony will be taken on the 3rd. To this point, it has always been scheduled for immediately after lunch. This is not the first time the public has had a chance to get a word in; every regular meeting includes public face time. RSG work sessions do not, although anyone can watch. Trust me, you'll get an education.

If you have something to say, please be respectful and courteous, otherwise people are likely to tune you out. Depending on the number of speakers, you get anywhere from 3 minutes on down to 1. If several people have the same message, pick a spokesperson and pool your time, but don't forget to acknowledge your entire group. You can also submit a comment via email: MLPAComments@resources.ca.gov

MJ Kennedy and I are on the RSG to represent YOU - if you have concerns, please let us know. We're in the trenches battling to save La Jolla, Dana Pt, Malibu and other irreplacable kayak fisheries. We're doing this on our own dimes; we don't like to spend the KFACA war chest, raised through generous kayak angler donations, and we most definitely don't take money from outside groups.

Whether you make it to this meeting or not, please start making plans to attend the public workshops in late June and early July. They are scheduled to be held all over SoCal, most likely in the evening. Don't let other voices drown us out. And then there's the big one, the meeting during which a prefered MPA network will be selected. That should come around Oct, and like every other regular meeting, it'll be squarely in the middle of the work week. If you only have one bullet, that will be the time to shoot it.

Paul

Last edited by PAL; 02-21-2009 at 08:58 PM.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Steve I can help out at Del Mar, I will send you an email. Anyone who enjoys fishing off our coastline in SOCAL, please help Steve, not to mention attending any of the meetings to support the stakeholders.

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:56 AM   #7
Dan

Thanks again guys....I think with the scathing WON commentary plus all the rumors, we all wait with baited breasts for Paul's feedback....while it in no way sets me at ease, it is a clear and concise and offers a path forward. THANKS!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
we all wait with baited breasts for Paul's feedback....
How exactly do you rig up your breasts? Reverse dropper loop? What size hook do you put 'em on? Slow troll or mototboat 'em?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
PAL

Now with agenda:

California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative

South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group

Draft Meeting Agenda

(revised February 23, 2009)

fficeffice" />>>
>
Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 9:00 AM>>

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 8:00 am>>

>>

Hilton Long Beach Executive Conference Center *>>

701 West Ocean Boulevard>>

Long Beach, California>>

>>

Please note location change!>>

Public participation: Members of the public are invited to view or listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet, and may view an archived version approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the MLPA website at http://www.dfg..ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information. Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to the MLPA website as soon as they become available.>>

> >

Public participation: The public will be invited to offer comments on the work of the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group (SCRSG) at approximately 2:45 p.m. on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 and at 8:00 a.m. on Wednesday, March 4, 2009. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group; comments related to other MLPA Initiative activities or groups should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff.

>>

Meeting Objectives>>

· Receive presentation from each work group regarding progress-to-date on developing draft marine protected area (MPA) arrays >>

·Receive an update on MPA evaluation methods for the MLPA South Coast Study Region >>

·Receive presentations on draft external MPA proposals>>

·Receive presentation and updates on additional data available for MPA planning >>

· Recess into work group sessions to finalize draft arrays (round 1) for evaluation purposes>>

· Receive presentation from each work group of draft MPA arrays

>>

>>
>Meeting Agenda - Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Note: The stakeholder group will break for lunch at approximately 12:00 noon and public comment will be taken at approximately 2:45 p.m.>>
Welcome, Agenda Review and Brief Introductions

I. Updates.>>

>>
II. Marine Protected Area Planning and Evaluations

III. Draft Marine Protected Area Arrays

IV. External MPA Proposals

V. Communication Between SCRSG Members and the Public

Recess

>>

[Work Group Breakout Sessions] Discussion of Draft MPA Arrays

Meeting Agenda - Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Note: The stakeholder group will reconvene at 8:00 a.m. for public comment and then recess to breakout sessions. The breakout groups will take lunch at approximately 12:00 noon and the SCRSG will reconvene at 3:30 p.m.

Reconvene for Public Comment>>

Recess>>
[Work Group Breakout Sessions] Discussion of Draft MPA Arrays

VI. Work Group Draft MPA Arrays

VII. Next Steps and Preparations for Next SCRSG Meeting >>

Adjourn

>
>
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote