Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

There goes profits for the Deadliest Catch...

But, advocates, don't worry about the foreign trawlers annihilating our waters...
Concentrate on what you know you can annihilate...

How many years, and how many $,$$$,$$$,$$$ in research before they approve take in these virgin, pristine and abundant waters, esp since they keep finding new species?

http://www.earthweek.com/

Click on the fish top left corner...

Kooks.......chit like this really baffles me.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #2
B Slate

At least its only commercial fishing.
B Slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
FISHIONADO

Here's an article on the size of fish caught in the Florida Keys over the last 50 years. The same thing happened to La Jolla, big fish were very common here 50 years ago. I like to catch and eat fish but it is important to me to save some for future generations.

http://scrippsnews.ucsd.edu/Releases/?releaseID=959

Trophy fish caught on Key West charter boats: a) 1957, b) early 1980s and c) 2007.
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Kill em all right!

Why don't we just bomb the place so we don't have to argue about it. Or throw some nuclear waste down there so we can create some more new species???

"Kooks.......chit like this really baffles me." quote

You made several blanket statements which have no background and show your lack of understanding of the situation all together. If it baffles you, what is your reason for having such a strong opinion?

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
But, advocates, don't worry about the foreign trawlers annihilating our waters...
Concentrate on what you know you can annihilate...

How many years, and how many $,$$$,$$$,$$$ in research before they approve take in these virgin, pristine and abundant waters, esp since they keep finding new species?

http://www.earthweek.com/

Click on the fish top left corner...

Kooks.......chit like this really baffles me.
The crab fisherman from the Deadliest Catch fish the Bearing Sea. This are is too close to shore and too far from base. Also the species mentioned on the site are not what they go for anyway.
And this hasn't been approved yet. I don't think the other countries will go for it either as this area is a huge sorce of their livelyhoods.
Something to keep an eye on though.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #6
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Kill em all right!

Why don't we just bomb the place so we don't have to argue about it. Or throw some nuclear waste down there so we can create some more new species???

"Kooks.......chit like this really baffles me." quote

You made several blanket statements which have no background and show your lack of understanding of the situation all together. If it baffles you, what is your reason for having such a strong opinion?
By opening up a larger area for them, it would give time for some of the oft worked areas to replenish.
Kill 'em all? No, that wasn't where I was headed. I don't think they should increase catch, nor do I think it would be allowed, but if these waters haven't been touched before I'm sure it would be a good reprieve from the heavier worked areas.

As far as catch sizes diminishing, that is overfishing with probably alot of waste, like the way of the totuava.

As far as lack of understanding? Ya, you are right about that, so should we just ante up the dollars for research, which will take years?

They weren't initially banned from the waters, read the article. The hostile environment, and ice, prevented them. But to just impose a ban based on the need to study an area first, basically the same waters and environment, on the advice of advocacy groups, to me is absurd.

Tman
Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Dan

IMHO,

Nothing stated in that article seems controversial. I haven't read up on it beyond the article, but taking a deep breath before allowing commercial fishermen to pull a rake over the floor of an ocean that has only recently become safely navigable? not too crazy.

I'm sure a complete closure keeps the international pressure from russia and canada at bay until lines can be drawn in the newly opened waters.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
dos ballenas

Nice recovery

I aggree with a lot of your second post tman, except for the part about the research dollars being a waste. Yes, science and research does take time and money. Fortunately the people in charge of the projects are extremely inteligent and have devoted their lives to learn more about the ocean.

Bill Fox, the World Wildlife Fund's vice president of fisheries, is an avid sports fisherman and had fought for years to protect both the commercial and recreational aspect of fishing alive. He previolsly worked with The Sportsfishing Association of Ca and was the head of NOAA fisheries located here in La Jolla. He knows what he is doing, and as a scientist he know there are countless things that can be learned from studying a place like this.

So do you shoot first and ask questions later? This area of ocean may or may not be similar to the Bering sea. Who knows, maybe they will find another species similar to the Pategonian Toothfish, aka Chilean Seabass. and world hunger will be cured.

Who really knows, the way we think about the ocean and fisheries management has changes a lot over the past few years, months, and even days.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
Nice recovery

I aggree with a lot of your second post tman, except for the part about the research dollars being a waste. Yes, science and research does take time and money. Fortunately the people in charge of the projects are extremely inteligent and have devoted their lives to learn more about the ocean.
Nice patronization...wasn't a recovery dos. Just my thoughts.

I do agree with your top post, but I think in these financial times, and being the close proximity of their current fishing grounds, a ban for the purpose of research by the persuasion of advocay groups is a bit overboard. I think a study is more warranted, a probationary evaluation on the catches made, size, quantity, etc., then decide whether the area is able to sustain the pressure while alleviating pressure on the commonly fished areas.

My thoughts are that since it's not complete foreign waters, or waters that had been under an imposed ban, it's a bit much to impose a ban based on their reasonings without just cause. Who knows, maybe a future ban is warranted, or maybe as was stated earlier, that it is being done to keep other countries from plying these waters.

Either way, a precedent was set, and even if it shows that the area can handle the pressure, alterations will be made by the 'advocacy groups' based on the findings. Sound familiar?

Tman
Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
dos ballenas

Everybody has their own opinion, thats why I love the internet. Its too bad all the other members hold their tounges and don't say shit when it comes to this kind of post. Expressing one opinion often brings light on another. I learned several things from this exchange. When you don't have a job, money being spent on the future of others seems like a waste.

I guess I should give it up and stick to saying "thanks for the report" and "nice fish", like most people on these damn sites.... or my favorite ... "yes the launch ramp is at the north end of la jolla shores" , just past the pier.