Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 AM   #1
Sherm

Banning yaks in La Jolla

Has anyone read the article about the banning of yaks in La Jolla? It seems some lady got hit in the face and now they want to ban yaks. Has anyone got any up to date info on this?
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
lamb

A friend of mine called me about that...

http://www.10news.com/news/17828741/detail.html

If the impact was so hard, it is likely that the swimmer was in the launch area... Swimmers should not be allowed in the launch area.

I would say they should impose a ban on swimmers with titanium implants in their faces...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
lamb

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont..._1m29swim.html

Oh great, what's next...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
prowlerdude

Article in the UT, briefly saw it. Bunch of nonsense. People get hit with surf boards all the time. Sounded like a lot of the blame got put on the rentals but we will get lumped in. Suggesting times for kayaks etc... Its a designated boat ramp!

Im going to write some letters even if it blows over. We vote.

We take classes hone our skills and any tourist with $50 bucks can be an expert after a 10 minute lecture and put everything at risk.

Between Islandia being kicked out and the threat of a ban, I see fishermen as a non-wanted entity prior to the MLPA....
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
Matt
Support your local pangas

As a guy with a bunch of teeth implants and a partial titanium plate in his jaw line, please don't ban me!! I feel sorry for the lady, but banning all kayaks is just lame it is a launch area, and people are constantly walking across the launch ramp which is I believe technically a road, so therefore shouldn't all driving laws be enforced? and isn't jaywalking a crime? I also don't believe you are allowed to swim in a launch area, so shouldn't the lifeguards enforce the no swimming rule also??? I still plan on launching tomorrow though

Last edited by Matt; 10-29-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Sherm

Sounds like this lady was accident proned. She already had a plate in her head. The rental yaks are a problem. trying to weve between them when coming in in the summer is a mojor pain the rump. But with that said........why was she swimming in the launch zone? She should have not been there.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #7
Dan

nonsense.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Iceman
Administrator

It sounds to me that they will just be a little more strict about keeping the launch area and the swim area better defined.......read between the sensational journalism
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Let's see...she was swimming in the boat launch zone

She should be fined.

In my investigative research, I found out that her previous head injury came when she tried to cross Town Hall Square in Spain...during the running of the bulls...

Then she tried to sue the bull, who proceeded to take a dump on her...because he thought her claim was bullsh!t...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Sherm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
It sounds to me that they will just be a little more strict about keeping the launch area and the swim area better defined.......read between the sensational journalism

I hope so Andy. My experience is that government will overreact.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
dorf

Another example of the pussification of America.

One person gets injured in an accident and the lawyers get involved to ban an activity.

I am confused though. It says that she was swimming in front of the Marine room. The map attached to the article shows that the area is a swim zone. If that whole are is a swim zone then the kayaker was at fault. The picture also shows the buoys, which I thought was a safe launch area for the hotel kayaks. What are the buoys for if not for a safe launch area?

As for me I launch and land at Avenida de la Playa and stay way clear of any rentals as well as swimmers. They usually have more fun on then brain than safety and common sense.
Attached Images
File Type: gif met-kayak220.gif (46.5 KB, 314 views)
Old 10-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #12
Jim Sammons LJKF

Not to take her side in any fashion, but it keeps coming up that she was swimming in the launch area and I don't see that anywhere. Sounds more like she was swimming in front of the marine room. Which historically has been a kayak surf spot though I don't know if it is actually listed that way. I often see people swimming there looking at the sharks among the kayaks surfing. Of course swimming in the surf zone and not having a clue what is going on around you can be blamed on her.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
esdees
The Good Clone

There are two sets of buoys. There are the small yellow ones that are roped together to section off the swim zone. They mark the smaller area on the map. Then there are the white ones that I believe indicate a 5 mph (or is it "no boat"?) zone that is larger.

If she wasn't at the launch, then the kayaker(s) should be blamed. It's hard to believe that this damage could happen in open water, so it must have been in the surf.

One incident, with one swimmer and one kayak... maybe we should be safe and not allow either to use the water at any time.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #14
Iceman
Administrator

In front of the Marine Room is a very popular spot to check out the leapards and shovel nose in the end of the summer, I have heard the tours stating that they were going there and have seen big groups in that area. The article states Ave Playa south as a designated swim zone, nothing about the launch area.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
Rusty

Sweet... Can't wait to see whats next.

Last edited by Rusty; 10-29-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: take a deep breath...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:23 AM   #16
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

People should actually read the article before the pitchforks come out. Let's all get pissed off about misinformation . Did anyone actually read the UT article before commenting on the situation or would that be too much to ask?

Quote:
She was swimming off the Marine Room restaurant in La Jolla Shores

Seems like they want to keep kayaks out of the swim zone south of ave de la playa. Sounds fair to me. As long as the swimmers stay out of the boat area. They don't mention closing the boat ramp, just keeping kayaks off the beach south. On a side note they are trying to limit the number of rental business operations which I like too.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #17
dorf

Another Question:
Where does the public swim zone start to the north of the launch?
The map shows the area in front of the Hotel but not the actual public beach area. In other words how wide is the launch zone?
Just wondering.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:37 PM   #18
Zed
BANNED

FWIW Ch8 SD was at the launch this morning [well noon] doing cheezy cut pieces about kayaks there. I was breaking down my stuff so I wasn't listening really, but I did hear some. I swear he sounded like Huell Howser.
"OK, lets do that again." to the cameraman as he retraces his steps and checks his cue card to do the 3 sentence piece again.

They interviewed at least 2 tourist kayakers. For some reason they didn't want anything to do with the fishing kayaks. They purposefully walked around me and my yak to not get it in the shot. Must have been the OC stinkeye I gave them.

Oh, btw, WFO fog launch and landing so that newspiece is going to be real worthy, Ch8. Lots of lost folks in the fog. Even USCG was looking for a lost blowboat on 16.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #19
dorado50

With all this hysteria and misinformation I am now convinced that today is the first day of my life.....or is the world coming to an end...not sure
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #20
prowlerdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden View Post
People should actually read the article before the pitchforks come out. Let's all get pissed off about misinformation .
Kill joy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg angry-mob_yak.jpg (98.9 KB, 241 views)
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote