Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
ctfphoto

Which is Better for Kayak Fishing, Big Island of Hawaii or Kauai?

I have been to both but have fished neither. A friend just told me about renting a house on Kauai next summer and kayak fishing.

I was wondering if the Big Island would be a better choice for kayak fishing? Say out of the Hilo area? Where is the best place to rent fishing kayaks?

I am really considering doing this as well as my wife seems very open to the idea of going to Hawaii again.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
konakaiyak
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I have been to both but have fished neither. A friend just told me about renting a house on Kauai next summer and kayak fishing.

I was wondering if the Big Island would be a better choice for kayak fishing? Say out of the Hilo area? Where is the best place to rent fishing kayaks?

I am really considering doing this as well as my wife seems very open to the idea of going to Hawaii again.
In the Islands the winds determine when and where u can paddle out. If you want to guarantee fishing time forget kauai and hilo and stay in Kona. All the islands have good fishing but everywhere but kona is affected by tradewinds and can be too windy to fish for weeks on end.
konakaiyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
tacmik

Not sure what the web site is, but if you google kayak fishing Hawaii. You can check out where the locals fish and maybe get some info from them.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
tacmik

Check out this forum a few subjects down. There is a guy just in from Hawaii that said if anyone his heading over there to contact him and he will give you information. Under Intro.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by konakaiyak View Post
In the Islands the winds determine when and where u can paddle out. If you want to guarantee fishing time forget kauai and hilo and stay in Kona. All the islands have good fishing but everywhere but kona is affected by tradewinds and can be too windy to fish for weeks on end.
Cool thanks for the info. Are there outfits there or anywhere on the islands that rent set up fishing kayaks or is it more of you have to hire a guide with an extra yak.

I know you could fish from rental kayaks, but a set up fishing yak would be way better.

I am in the early stages of planning a kayak fishing trip to hawaii and am open to any and all suggestions.

Last edited by ctfphoto; 11-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post

There's some beautiful house rentals at Koloa landing just on the west side of the cove and it's a great launch on the other side. That's where I'd stay on Kauai. I caught jacks right off the rocks there and a 137lb yellowfin less then a mile offshore.

Wind wise it's a the sheltered south side of the island and you can fish the cove when it's windy, but the way the reefs are set up you can get in or out even in the roughest weather.

I don't want to just visit, I want to go live there.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
There's some beautiful house rentals at Koloa landing just on the west side of the cove and it's a great launch on the other side. That's where I'd stay on Kauai. I caught jacks right off the rocks there and a 137lb yellowfin less then a mile offshore.

Wind wise it's a the sheltered south side of the island and you can fish the cove when it's windy, but the way the reefs are set up you can get in or out even in the roughest weather.

I don't want to just visit, I want to go live there.
Wow, cool info as we have rented houses in Kauai before and love the area. I want to be able to almost guarantee I am able to kayak fish short of a hurricane rolling in.

This is going to take some planning but my non fishing wife showed great interest in going to hawaii when I asked her today so i think I have to run with it ...
Old 11-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Fiskadoro

I did some searching. The place we stayed was the Turtle Cove Cottage.

Here's the info: http://www.coastlinecottages.com/vac...l/cottage4.htm

Here's the view of the Cove from the balcony:

This is the view from the rental next door.

There's a bunch of rentals there and they are all good.

The main cove is about 500x 1500 feet protected by an outside coral reef. It's deep in the center and fish come right into it. I've seen tuna as well as jacks come right in. The entrance is to the left and huge so you do not have to deal with surf which is why small boats have been launching there for centuries. Outside it's the wild west pure pelagic action with anything from Yellowfin, wahoo and even huge Marlin. The inner creek is always flat and a easy launch, and filled with juvenile goatfish which make great bait.

I'd make goat fish with a sabiki in the creek then paddle outside and fish them for Peligics. I can't think of a better place to kayak fish, I only wish I could afford to move there.

Dude your wife will love it and the fishing can be amazing. I went with an old girlfriend and she did not fish, but it's good snorkeling, quiet comfortable and absolutely beautiful.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Fiskadoro

Here's some more pics of the place we stayed at.

Your wife will love it.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
ctfphoto

Wow that cove looks awesome. Thank you very much. I'm guessing you will have to rent a rental kayak and make due at this location? Bait tube as oppose to live bait tank on the plane?

I am moving forward in talking the wife into this.

Still open to others areas as as well.