Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
dc1983

Not really kayak related ( flying with rods)

I'm going to the Abacos next weekend for a week of fishing fun. Plan on bringing 2 8 ft jig sticks, a live bait 8 foot rod and 2 spinning rods. I have a 3 in pvc pipe thats cut to 8.5 ft with end caps. Now here's the question do you put bubble wrap or anything in with the rods to protect the guides? And how do you pack your reels more specifically the spinning reels in your checked luggage?

I will be staying in the vicinity of Hopetown. Has anyone been to this area and know of a place that might rent kayaks?

Thanks
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
lamb

Check with your airline for oversize luggage requirements. They usually have rules, and calculate the size on how wide + long + tall your oversize package is. Depending on what category you fit in, they charge you extra. Definitely check your airline website, or give them a call.

When traveling, I usually take no longer than 7 ft one piece rods. I always bring one or two 2 piece 9 ft rods for fishing from the beach. I carry then in one of those plastic rod cases, like this one

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Airliner...0323072&sr=1-8

I picked one up in Squidco long time ago. I never had any problems with it. I wrap my rods with my fishing shirts to protect guides form banging... And then I put a whole bunch of stuff inside (gaff, game clip, pouches with jigs, tackle, pliers). Works out good.

I wrap the reels in bubble wrap and put it in my bags that I check in.

Look up the places that rent kayaks, I'm sure there are some in Bahamas. I always bring the "travel" seat with 2 rodholders on the back. Not ideal, but it makes a world of difference

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...er-Seat/Detail

Don't count on finding kayak rigged for fishing that you can rent; recreational ones are not a problem. You're lucky if they have the eyelets to clip your seat on to.

Inshore, you'll probably have a bunch of small fish to play with... Snappa! Good eats, and fun.
Bring gulp worms!
They pro'ly have barracuda inshore - bring wire leaders.

Have fun!
Old 06-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
JeffB

I travel with my 8' rods on southwest with no problems. It cost $50 for an oversize fee with SWA. Now a trick to packing them in to put the butt end on a couple of them to the tip end on the others. Tape them up like that so that some are most and and the others are upside down. This will keep you from breaking any tips off of your rods....definantly add bubble wrap

I always take the handles off of the spinning gear and then wrap all my reels in my clothes and put them in the middle. It keeps them from getting beat up
Old 06-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
skrilla

"69" em, socks over the ends, pad em with rags. When I ship out rods I'll also cut up fun noodles for added protection to the guides. Make sure you strap em so they slide in and out easily. On more than one occasion I've had TSA leave a notice that they had to open and visually inspect my baggage.

Look at your airlines oversize policy and bring a copy. I mostly fly Southwest and their max limit is 62 inches ( l+w+h ) so I'm limited to 2 piece rods to avoid their oversize fee. But I have been able to bring a bigger tube and skip the charge on a basically empty flight. A little sweet talking helps. YMMV.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
dc1983

Thanks for the tips. Packing the rods up tonight and hope they all make it there and back
dc1983 is offline   Reply With Quote