Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
Trout
Looks are everything

sonar repair

Believe me... no lecture needed on Humminbirds. But I don't have a bunch of dough for a brand spankin' new sonar right now, so I'm wondering if anyone in SD does repairs. Humminbird charges almost as much as a new sonar for repairing a used one. Unbelievable. So if you know of a place that does repairs on a 200DX for less than $78 + tax, shipping and handling... lemme know. I already took it apart, dried it out, inspected it, etc... so something must have shorted out when I almost came close to giving it a light splash of mist.

I tried to pull some macho $h!t about how I deserve to get a free one for all the photos I've had published with their sonar in it (and even attached a few)... but a robot replied telling me to send money or shut it. How humiliating
Old 02-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
peguinpower
bing!

May I suggest you look for used unit that goes on the same base. I have seen a few on eBay. Right now there is 200DX on auction for 50 bucks. Some other models for less.

The 200DX appears to use the same base mount as all current 700, 500, the 300 series and the PiranhaMAX.

Just make sure you get a head unit that can use the same transducer you have installed. Look into the frequencies (200hz, dual freq, etc.)

You can also turn around and sell the parts you don't use to reduce your cost.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #3
Trout
Looks are everything

Good advice. I'm not a big Ebay guy (or even a little one), but my brother in law has an account, so that's a good idea. I'll check Craig's List, too.

I just have a big problem spending almost $100 on a repair for a crappy piece of equipment that will just break again... when it could go toward a new lowrance, garmin, eagle.... anything but the HB.

I'm still open to getting mine repaired privately if anyone has a contact (since it looks good and probably just has a short), but this is a solid backup. Mahalo...
Old 02-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
peguinpower
bing!

If you have a hundred or so to spare, hodges marine will ship you a new Lowrance X50DS for $ 120 all in.

I was recommending eBay to get something below $ 60, used or head unit only.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote