Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #1
h-james

3rd times the charm

I launched at 5:30, in the dark, at LaJolla on Aug. 3rd. As usual, I unleashed my paddle as a launched so as not create a hazard in the vent of a flip. I get out a little wet, but intact. I do not, however, put my leash back on my paddle.

Anywhoo....I meet up with SDfishin..Alex right after launching. And since he is the veteran, and one hell of a nice guy, he lets the new guy tag along with him.
Make a few spanish macs at the kelp line and begin to cover some distance in search of some fish.
At 10:30 the sun burns thru the clouds, and my reel starts, "ZZZ....ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!" And just like that I am fish on. Forgot my gaff, so I have to thank Alex for the gaff.

In the middle of the short fight with the fish, I was so stoked about the fish and the post-gaff elation of having actually caught a yellow that didn't notice that I lost my Hobie paddle over the side of my PA14. Bummer!

This made for poor control during my landing, and I got dumped. I saw that one coming, and stowed my gear beforehand. Only lost my Oakley polarized glasses that I was wearing.

This was my first yellowtail off the yak, and I consider it a small price to pay to the sea for the chance to have caught this beauty.

Thanks again, Alex. When you can, can you forward me the on-the-water pic, please.

And If anyone comes across a Hobie paddle, it might be mine!

Tight lines,
James
Attached Images

h-james is offline   Reply With Quote