Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
RookieYakker

What's the best way to mount a GoPro on a PA?

Santa will be dropping off a new GoPro, and having never had one, I'm not sure how to mount it. The YakAttack Panfish seems to be the best option.

I plan on checking with OEX to see what they have to say, but wanted to ask here first.

Any other suggestions? Pictures would be greatly appreciated!
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
jorluivil

Do you have a bait tank?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #3
Oxbeast1210

I made one of these it has worked great so far.
http://www.palmettokayakfishing.com/...Conversion.pdf
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #4
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieYakker View Post
Santa will be dropping off a new GoPro, and having never had one, I'm not sure how to mount it. The YakAttack Panfish seems to be the best option.

I plan on checking with OEX to see what they have to say, but wanted to ask here first.

Wish I had pictures but I still haven't been out on my new '12 Outback yet (other than to tune my Elite 5X at Castaic) due to my back injury . But after some thought and examples from members on this site I had Andy (OEX SSB) install a pair of 16" GearTrac 175 rail mounts in the moulded compartments on each side of my yak for an "over the shoulder" view with my panfish pole. I'm also thinking about mounting a pair of 8" GearTrac 90 narrow rail mounts on each side for a panfish portrait up front (with one of my other GoPros) for a different video angle (selfie or "deck/water level" action shot).
I guess it depends on the type of view you would like to record. Check out some of the videos by members of this site to see the various viewing angles from their fishing exploits (as some members have more than 2-3 cameras mounted ).
I hope this helps give you some perspective.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Batmann

This seems like an interesting mount at a very competitive price.

http://www.sjcam.com/mounts/25-monop...on-camera.html

I also like a few of these from RAM.

http://www.rammount.com/products/kayak/camera

I've been looking at their cameras for awhile. They get great reviews on B&H photo. Their latest version is said to be equal to a GoPro Silver.

http://www.sjcam.com/home/29-sjcam-s...on-camera.html

Last edited by Batmann; 12-10-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
bolocop

Don't buy the panfish. I did and it wobbles quite a bit. The weight of the camera is too much and causes wobbly video. I fixed mine by cutting off the foam and slipping a 1.25" pvc pipe over it except for the camera mount and the panfish mount. Now no more wobble but totally defeats the adjustability of the panfish design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieYakker View Post

bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
johnnyblaze2009

Andy at the Sunset Beach OEX has all the answers and stocks what u need. I personally like the RAM Mounts brand. Remember Santa's giving u a $500 plus camera, invest in reliable equipment. Check rammounts.com for ideas too so it makes it easier when u goto OEX.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
johnnyblaze2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
RookieYakker

Thanks for all of the great advice!

Yes I have a Hobie bait tank. Do you attach the mount to one of the rod holders on the bait tank, the rod holder in the PA, or where else?
RookieYakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolocop View Post
Don't buy the panfish. I did and it wobbles quite a bit. The weight of the camera is too much and causes wobbly video. I fixed mine by cutting off the foam and slipping a 1.25" pvc pipe over it except for the camera mount and the panfish mount. Now no more wobble but totally defeats the adjustability of the panfish design.
Once I got my New Outback home I mounted all the equipment I imagined I would have out on the water with me (to see what would definitely need to be tethered or what I might have overlooked ). The panfish seemed to be pretty secure.
When you say that your's "wobbled quite a bit" did you have it mounted to a GearTrac 175 with the T-bolt version?
Not that I question your report, it's just that mine seemed to be pretty darn secure (as that is what I was testing for) with no wobble.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote